S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My snap-on tool dealer told me he used to work in Chevrolet's shop when my 1993 ThrottleBodyInjection came out and suggested that i take off the air filter-remove the torx screws holding the injector pod (with injectors unplugged of course) and turn the injector pod upside-look at the FPR and carefully unbolt it (4 torx)

Under the FPR cover is a pretty stout spring so be careful taking it off and putting it back on.
Anyways, above the spring inside you put a 3/8s washer to sort of shim the FPR spring and you will get about 2lbs. of fuel pressure.
Not a dramatic difference but it should help out around higher RPMs when my truck sort of loses it's oomph.

Right now i have everything in place and the FPR bolted back but the Injector Pod is still off.
i ruined the old ass gasket underneath it and when i turn the key the fuel pump primes and shoots gas out all over my hood so it's apart and i'm looking for that gasket tomorrow.

I will let you guys know how it goes soon as it gets put back together.

And i will try to take some pictures!
If it works and i like it, i might even have to try 2 3/8's washers...

·
Registered
498 Posts
There is an article on 3rdgen web site tellin how to make the fact into an adjustable . It actually is from factory but it is well hidden and you have to do some work to get it goin . Will post it on here in the morning

·
WHOO WHOOOO
1,255 Posts
Not a bad idea, thirdgen.org has alot of info on the subject. When you go to install the injector pod you can double up the gaskets which gives you the same effect as a pod spacer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not a bad idea, thirdgen.org has alot of info on the subject. When you go to install the injector pod you can double up the gaskets which gives you the same effect as a pod spacer.
You should read the unlimate TBI mod parts 1 and 2 also bout grinding that ridge off and such .
Would do that myself , but mine throws such a crazy fuel spray it would be everywhere , already gets on top the bolts .lol

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay guys i finished up after buying a new gasket from advance.
The injector pod gasket was $45 because i had to buy it in a kit with a new FPR and o-rings.

Saving those for later.
So this is not a dramatic all the time difference to notice but it deffinately helps out when im in higher RPMs and my motor likes to "flaten out".

And PROJECT89, as far as that article goes...

Now that you have drilled out the cap you will find that the screw and platform inside the cup are not only movable but removable from the cup. By turning the screw counter clockwise you raise the platform thus raising fuel pressure. You can raise the platform to a higher pressure and put it back together at this point but that takes away some of the adjustability to it.

I had no screw inside my FPR!
Maybe the little nipple (looks like straight metal-no threads) can be tampered with.
The spring seats around it.

Anyways i'm going to the strip this weekend and seeing if it makes any difference in NUMBERS.

My last best was the qtr. mile in 16.2 seconds.
I will let you guys know and when i break into the TBI again to maybe add another washer i will take pictures and we will look for that screw that is supposed to be there.

Knowing my truck, i don't have anything cool that was offered from the factory.
especially not those digital gauges i wanted :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Okay guys i finished up after buying a new gasket from advance.
The injector pod gasket was $45 because i had to buy it in a kit with a new FPR and o-rings.

Saving those for later.
So this is not a dramatic all the time difference to notice but it deffinately helps out when im in higher RPMs and my motor likes to "flaten out".

And PROJECT89, as far as that article goes...

Now that you have drilled out the cap you will find that the screw and platform inside the cup are not only movable but removable from the cup. By turning the screw counter clockwise you raise the platform thus raising fuel pressure. You can raise the platform to a higher pressure and put it back together at this point but that takes away some of the adjustability to it.

I had no screw inside my FPR!
Maybe the little nipple (looks like straight metal-no threads) can be tampered with.
The spring seats around it.

Anyways i'm going to the strip this weekend and seeing if it makes any difference in NUMBERS.

My last best was the qtr. mile in 16.2 seconds.
I will let you guys know and when i break into the TBI again to maybe add another washer i will take pictures and we will look for that screw that is supposed to be there.

Knowing my truck, i don't have anything cool that was offered from the factory.
especially not those digital gauges i wanted :D
In the article it talks about having to remove the cover on the screw or something like that and taking a small wheel and making a slot in it for the screw driver to fit .

If I get good and bored I might try it myself , whoknows

·
Registered
635 Posts
Somewhere along the way, while looking at modding TBI info, I read that the trick is to put in a 1/8th" thick washer, that will take you to the Max recommended 15lbs fuel pressure. I don't know about a 3/8" washer?:dunno:

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1/8th thick?

3/8s was chosen just because of its diameter (i dont know about putting a small washer in there that might move around)

But at this shop our 3/8s washers and 1/4 washers are equivalent as far as "thick" goes.
Our lawson hardware cabinets don't have 1/8ths :rolleyes:

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the article it talks about having to remove the cover on the screw or something like that and taking a small wheel and making a slot in it for the screw driver to fit .

If I get good and bored I might try it myself , whoknows
yes please try it!

·
Truck #121616
2,860 Posts
do you have any pictures of this done? i would really like to know what i can do to freely add some power to the 4.3

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have any pictures of this done? i would really like to know what i can do to freely add some power to the 4.3
no but i plan on tearing into my TBI again this weekend i will post some pictures and PM you!

·
Truck #121616
2,860 Posts
alright, thanks :D that would be really cool. ive read those ultimate TB threads on 3rd gen, but i dont quite understand without pictures... if i could see what was being done, i'd be able to do it. i just dont want to rip into it, and think i know what they are talking about, and screw it up

·
Registered
498 Posts
The 3/8 is the diameter he is refering to . The other 1/4" is refering to thickness . See the diff there ??

I might try the other mod this weekend If I get time with mom's surgery and all on thursday . If I do I will take pics of the steps taken and post it here as a how-to .

·
Registered
635 Posts
1/8th thick?

3/8s was chosen just because of its diameter (i dont know about putting a small washer in there that might move around)

But at this shop our 3/8s washers and 1/4 washers are equivalent as far as "thick" goes.
Our lawson hardware cabinets don't have 1/8ths :rolleyes:
Not 1/8th" diameter!? Whatever diameter washer you need that fits, But 1/8" thick!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts