S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m gonna be building a 86 s10 with a 283 with a 2004r trans. Just trying to get ideas and opinions. I know the 283 is small but with the right combo they can be pretty mean. Any cam suggestions? I’m wanting something the has a nice chop to it but not to big to hurt the little bit of torque the 283 produces. Thanks

·
Administrator
23,084 Posts
You posted in the wrong area. When you start a thread, think about where it will get the most views for the problem. Scroll thru the available forums and pick the best one.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have a 67 truck 283 that I was gonna build. Never got that far since I went straight to a 350. What heads do you plan on running and what will you be doing with the truck. You will probably end up calling a cam manufacturer to get the best idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it has 58cc heads on it. But then I’m wondering if I will need to put harden valve seats in it. Or maybe get some “good” 305 heads and run a done piston to raid my compression back up. It’s gonna be a street truck but not a daily by any means. I just wanna go as far as I can with the set up to where it’s almost not street friendly lol. My dad told me he had a 283 in a 68 Camaro that would lift the tires off the ground in 2nd gear. Yea I know I could LS swap or go with a bigger cubic motor but I really like the 283s plus it’s different. Everyone and they’re mama has something LS swapped now days

·
Been there Done it
8,191 Posts
I'm old enough to have been around when the 283 was available in a new car. My grandfather had a brand new 57 BelAir 2dr hdtp with one of the first ones. It was THE engine to have if you were a Chevy guy.
5 years later when the 327 came out anybody looking for performance ordered one of those instead of the little old 283.
A 68 large journal 327 (5.3L) would be my choice in a nostalgia engine. You can easily build one around 350 HP fairly cheap. To get that kind of power from a 283 you have to have a completely blueprinted engine capable of 8500 RPMs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I’m sure it cost a pretty penny too lol. I was building a 496 stroker. I had 340cc aluminum heads with 650 lift springs and 4 bolt block. I thought about putting it in the s10 but ended up having to sell it.
I’m not trying to Have the fastest thing on the street with the 283 but I think it will be fun

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very true more than likely I’ll stick to the 283 build I guess to get comfortable with then when it gets boring I’ll build a 383 or something later on. Have you ever raced a 283?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would honestly like to take my time with it to handle 8000rpm. Every engine I’ve had I’ve always pushed the rpms lol. Idk just something about the sound and the way it pulls

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would honestly like to take my time with it to handle 8000rpm. Every engine I’ve had I’ve always pushed the rpms lol. Idk just something about the sound and the way it pulls
That would cost a lot of money and that engine would have no bottom end and your truck isn't light. 8000 rpm, you don't need to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So scrap the 283? I used to run 4 cylinders in Honda’s and I figured being that the 283 is a smaller cubic inch it could handle around 7000. The stock bottom ends on the Honda motors would handle 9000. Not say they are the same just comparing smaller cubic inches

·
Mew Nember
48 Posts
.... and your truck isn't light.....
Depending on configuration, they are 2800-3000 pounds, and that's with cast iron everything on the V6.

If you want to build a 283, don't let anyone stop you. Really surprised people aren't screaming "LS swap" as that's usually what happens, despite the fact it's more involved and not cheap unless you have a donor. Also, the 350 block is painfully heavy. If you wanted to go cheap and light, with plentiful aftermarket, could go with a 302 Ford. Iron-headed blocks weigh around 450 pounds or similar. 350 is like 600+.

Do NOT build a high rpm street engine. They stink in daily traffic and need strung out and unless you do highway driving in 4th gear constantly.... even minivans will probably walk you at the stop lights. Bottom end is less of an issue in a lighter truck like these S-10, especially with correct gearing though. Something heavier like a modern full-size truck, or one of those 4600 pound Chrysler pigs, it's truly needed.

You could easily run a Summit Racing RV cam, bare-bones Performer intake, and something like a 500 cfm Holley 4 barrel, maybe 1 5/8" shorty headers, 10:1, and 3.55 or 3.73's with a 5 speed from an F body or run an auto, and it'll scream. That combo with good traction (so tires, shocks etc.) would make a solid 13 second truck that could still tow things if needed. It'd have instant power off-idle to something like 4600-5000 rpm depending on the cam. I used to run a very similar set up in 306 '79 Mustang and it was always dead-even with the 00-02 LS powered Trans Am and that Mustang weighed about the same as the S-10.

People focus on peak hp for some reason (blame dyno pulls on youtube) but having a solid average hp/tq that gets things started nearly off idle and can at least keep the car moving at a good pace, will be more fun than you can imagine. And the guys with 3500-7000 rpm powerbands, will be playing catch up unless they are strung out in 3rd or 4th on the highway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Grew up on them -
Hey guys I’m gonna be building a 86 s10 with a 283 with a 2004r trans. Just trying to get ideas and opinions. I know the 283 is small but with the right combo they can be pretty mean. Any cam suggestions? I’m wanting something the has a nice chop to it but not to big to hurt the little bit of torque the 283 produces. Thanks
the 283 is a great little small block you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you can trade that 283 for a 350 short block that good condition, it might be worth doing. 350 will give you the torque you need to get moving quickly on the street. if you can afford it, a small hyd roller can, alum heads, good hi rise intake and a 670 Holley vac carb. will pull hard as long as your gears are 373 or so..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts