S-10 Forum banner

270AHR parts?

3K views 35 replies 6 participants last post by  Kyle279 
#1 ·
while doing the clutch on my 2001 4x4 STen i noticed my oil pan is leaking and so i am going to replace the timing set while im at it. but now im thinking of slapping a 270ahr in it aswell.
what i have read is all i need is-
ls6 beehive springs with matching retainers and locks. and maybe lifters? what i really need to know is do i NEED rockers or pushrods. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
648 Valve locks
787 Retainers
12499224 Beehive springs

#2 ·
Pretty sure you'll need adjustable rockers and matching pushrods and earlier taller valve covers.
Here's a thread on that cam:

You'll need to schedule a few hours on a chassis dyno for a custom tune or all the work will be for nothing.
Slapping in a cam is like throwing in an engine. Getting it physically in is just the beginning. Making it work properly with everything else is a long detail oriented process. Or you just wasted a lot of $.

#3 ·
i understand how tuning works i have cammed a 5.3 lm7. im just trying to get the cam in while the timing chain is off its not my daily or anything. i have heard stamped rockers and stock pushrods will do the job? im gonna get the cam on order and get it in this weekend, worry about the valve system another week its gonna be in pieces for another month :LOL:

#5 ·
I have read in a number of places that the valve lift increase will cause the retainer to contact the valve seal/guide. So the guides need machined down and new seals installed.

I want to upgrade to the same cam so if you do install it I'll be very interested to hear your results.

#6 ·
You are correct stock valve springs will not work with this .500 .510 lift cam. But. Using ls6 spring paired with comp cams retainers will increase the available valve lift. I have ran into a problem with my main bearings and hoping I can get this engine sorted out soon. I'm pretty active on here so I'll be glad to let you know how everything goes. But at a stand still with my crank bearings??‍♂ pulling the motor tomarow..

#11 ·
I have not had a centerforce. It's been sitting on my floor for over a year I got it from a user on here in the flea market actually! I pulled the motor today took off the rear most maincap and my thrust bearing toast as suspected. My crank took all the damage! Now I have to figure out if a new crankshaft will work in my block without any machining?? The block is fine just crank is worn where the thrust bearing went out! Main caps are all in good condition as well.
270AHR Cam part number is 56-460-8.

#12 ·
It might be a good idea to have a machine shop check out the main saddlesite & if they don't need to be align -honed , you'll have a strong foundation . Myself I would have the shop balance the rotating assembly , such a huge difference between that & a factory balance !!! You would definitely notice it !!

#14 ·
I was trying to not take the heads off this thing and do a full rebuild! But I might have too... I am tempted to just buy a crank and see if it will work? If it dont then take the heads off and redo the whole motor..gonna call summit tech line Monday see what they think..

#17 · (Edited)
test fitted a ls6 spring on a head and it was pretty tight on the valve boss had too get a screwdriver under it too get it off.. Would this spark a concern too anyone? i think its supposed to have a .010" clearance..people say there a tight fit but kind of concerning too me.. also added a pic of retainer differences..

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Today was a productive day. valve train is complete, high volume oil pump installed intake manifold gaskets done. only thing left for engine is rear main timing cover and oil pan! only thing i got hung up on was while installing the new timing chain set it seemed a bit loose.. tried getting a tensioner but nobodys got one and im not waiting for it too ship.. if the 4.3l's went many years without them, the 2005 4.3l doesent need it is the way i look at it Lol. hoping for first startup next weekend!
Auto part Suspension Engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.