S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm starting to think about it, I think I should have gone with the 270AHR instead of the 266HR. My question is spec wise theres not that much of a difference between the two. Can I run the 270AHR without having to have my valve guides further machined? I really want the 2000-5500(270ahr) power band over the 1800-5000(266hr).

Thanks

·
Vortech power not Vtec!
957 Posts
did you have to grind teh guides with teh 266hr? what else did you replace or machine or grind or whatever you had to do to make teh 266hr work on your truck? I wanna get one too but i dont know what it requires me to do. Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Crower cam 03343
Power range 2000-5500 RPM with a 6000+ redline
Got a duration of 278 intake, 284 exhaust
Lift is .435 Intake and .449 Exhaust, inside the advertised .480 lift GM says.
Has the lobe seperation that power adders like.

I know quite a few running this cam and have no problems, no machining done and like the cam. Havent looked into those comp cams that you listed, but do know this works well!

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 266hr is .500 intake and .500 exhauast the 270ahr is .500 intake and .510 exhaust. I cant remeber the duration but the lobe separation on the 266 is 112* and the 270 is 114*. I'd look but Im on a webtv thing and the comp cam catalogs print is to small.

As for the cam, I had to get my valve guides machined and new springs put in.
I think I'm gonna order the 270AHR and sell the 266hr!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The 270ahr is kinda radical for a computer controlled car it seems, lookin at the lift is like .510 but duration is a little less than the Crower one above. Unless you got a lot of work done (which it looks like you might), the 266hr seemed like a good cam too. I havent heard anything about machining needed with this cam either. Check out comps website they got all the specs.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Its your choice, but having the spend the extra on machining the heads etc, to grab more lift versus the duration advantage the crower offers?? Not really going to see gobs of difference between all 3 actually, considering the intake it still gonna puke out early in the game. Even doing extra to the heads with the current intake is very questionable to some, just seem money not wisely spent!

Duration with a weakflowing intake to me seems the more important than lift.

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
:stupid:I would go with the crower.Good duration with the right amount of lift for your engine setup.

·
Registered
658 Posts
with that crower cam would you need a higher stall converter to us all the power that it gives the engine?

say a 2200 stall if you have 1.52 rockers, exhuast and edelbrock intake

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Anything over .480 is going to require machining, Ive seen .500 being hit without machine work, but wouldnt risk it. Now that youve mentioned a missing link the 270 is fine, intake and the injection setup will not hamper you.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
What kind of machining may be required with a .500 lift cam?? The comp 270hr is the one I'm getting and its right at .500 lift, 215* duration @ .050", with 110* lobe seperation. Im sure the machine shop knows what is needed but I sure dont.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure what hamper means. So will the combo work? The 950ECU + Edlbrock Performer intake.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here it is the offical list of mods for december 19th-20th.

Comp Cams 270AHR Cam, Comp Cams Pro Magnum Roller Rockers, Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hydraulic lifters, SLP Y-pipe, and Be-Cool Aluminum radiator. I cant wait to here the change in exhaust tone and powerband!!!

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope to hit 14's but we'll see. I'm glad everything worked out that its all Comp Cams parts. As to having a mix of different brands. Comp Cams really does make some great stuff. Like I said before I just hope it all goes in ok. I'll be sure to take lots of pics.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wow this thread is old as hell. I've already had the cam installed for months now :)

As for the intake, its a peice of crap. Its flows like ass for anything above 5grand but the 270AHR can get to 6 grand with better power but the intake is still robbing power. Porting it will help but not signifigantly. Also you could set the rev limiter at 6 grand but I would only go there when racing every now and then, not every time you drive it.

Also I noticed about the 270AHR is the higher the rpms the hard it pulled for me, right up to rev limiter. I love it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts