S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like the general consensus is GM switched to 28 spline in all 10 bolt 7.500" rear ends. Do y'all agree? I've got a 2000 Sonoma 2WD originally came with the 4 banger. Looking to put a posi in mine as well as 4.10 gears with a rebuild kit. What are y'all running for posi's and gears? What bad have you heard or experienced? It's got a V8 4.8 no worries on spinning 4.10's.

·
Registered
03 GMC Sonoma SLS & 04 Chevrolet Blazer Ls
1,226 Posts
If you're going to be swapping in an LS 4.8, that is a short stroke high rpm engine. I would run 3.42 to 3.55 gear ratio with the 4.10 gear ratio, you'll run out of gear real quick with that engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about a 95-02 ford explorer 8.8 ?
Some come with limited slip differentials and 4.10 gears
Haven’t had luck finding one. Also haven’t been able to find a clear answer whether or not that’ll fit right up without welding brackets or shortening anything. I was under the impression that was the case but heard some back and forth.

·
Registered
03 GMC Sonoma SLS & 04 Chevrolet Blazer Ls
1,226 Posts
With a cam and valve spring upgrade with the LS 4.8, your red line can be increased to about 8500rpm. But with 4.10 gear ratio You'll run out of gear and hit red line before the 1/4 mile in 3rd gear. There is online calculators out there that you can use, and base your gear ratio on what tire size and red line you will be running. It is a learning curve. You probably won't get it right the first two or three times.

·
Registered
2000 Blazer SAS
582 Posts
I just ran one of those gear calculators and it shows 132MPH at 7000RPM with 4.10 gears and 26" tires, without OD. I doubt that thing is going to hit 132 in the 1/4 mile.

·
Two tones of terror
872 Posts
Yes it should be 28 spline, idk the exact year they switched but even my 95' came with 28 spline axles. If it's a high revving 4.8 that's not making tons of torque I say build the 7.5 with a true trac, 4.10s and a diff girdle and run it.

Reactions: fattboyzz65

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Looking to put a posi in mine as well as 4.10 gears
you have a 4 cyl truck, it probably already has 4:10 gearing.. look at the rpo code.
Wheni first put in my ls, i just welded up the spider gears. never broke due to no traction .

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Also haven’t been able to find a clear answer
theres pages of info right here./.. use the search bar at the top. every how to, info, pics, step by step anything you need to know, is literally only a few clicks away

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Trucks likely only going to see the 1/4 mile.
most tracks aren't even 1/4 mile anymore.
build the vehicle to how you want it. If its a track only vehicle, thats one thing, if youre going to drive it on the street, take that into consideration as well.
I run 4:30s in mine more than the 2:70s

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Since the Explorer and Mountaineer are plentiful in salvage yards and are offered w/ and w/o LSD you will see 3.73 and 4.10 are the most common ratios. The price is generally 100- 200. On average. Well worth the cost for an axle that can take some abuse.

·
time to get cereal
7,357 Posts
Reg cab came with 3.73 and xcab with 4.10 from the factory with 2.2l 5 speeds. I'm sure there's exceptions but I don't think that's very common. Autos might be different, I don't pay attention to those.

·
FLORIDA BUTCH
149 Posts
In the early 60s the GM P55 came with 17 Spline Axels. That's what the 64 409 Impala had. The more splines you have the thinner the contact surface. 28 Spline is all you will ever need. I have a 69 Chevy 10 Bolt in my S10. The 8.8 Fords have two different size axels from side to side. Another good rear is a GM 8.5. They came after 1971.

·
Been there Done it
15,714 Posts
Trick is finding a GM 8.5 in the 2wd S10 width. When you do find one if the seller knows what he has it'll be expensive.
A guy had one on local Craigslist for a grand for a year, but finally sold it. It was run of the mill 3.42 G80. Most were that or 3.08 open. I've got one of those. By the time you put a locker, 4.10 gears and strong axles in it the price is getting close to a Ford 9 inch. If it's strictly racing, don't forget $500 for a pair of slicks each year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like the general consensus is GM switched to 28 spline in all 10 bolt 7.500" rear ends. Do y'all agree? I've got a 2000 Sonoma 2WD originally came with the 4 banger. Looking to put a posi in mine as well as 4.10 gears with a rebuild kit. What are y'all running for posi's and gears? What bad have you heard or experienced? It's got a V8 4.8 no worries on spinning 4.10's.
I've got a 95 S=10 P/U 4,3 auto, just had my son install a posi in it, it came with 28 spline axles from the factory, I like the 342 gears it came with, best of luck with your truck

·
Two tones of terror
872 Posts
Funny how GM thought the 7.6 10 bolt was strong enough for all the 4th gen LT1/LS1 F bodies but not adequate for some 4.3 5 speed s10's making 190hp.

·
time to get cereal
7,357 Posts
Look at the 1st gear ratio difference between the Nv3500 and the T56 and also the fact you shouldn't be pulling or hauling things with a Camaro... And also that GM is cheap as hell.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts