S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hombre was running like crap, very sluggish and all. The seller told me she had the plug changed but obviously they weren't. I should have taken a photo, to show how worn out they were.

It seems the stock plugs were AC #9s.

Never take the word of a seller for granted. The only thing I took for granted is that she never pushed that engine and indeed it is in great shape for $85K miles, because after changing for new AC Delco Rapid Fire, the thing just hauls ass for a little 4 banger truck.

Before changing the plugs, I calculated my MPG at 18, same gas station, same exact commute twice. And that's with premium.

After the change: over 23, still with premium. In Phoenix with AC on (but not on max except when I leave work), exterior temperature currently over 110 Hi.

And the RPM are slightly over 3000 when cruising on the freeway, before I had it at 3500.

I will run with a full tank of regular to see the difference. After that I will try with a cool air intake and post.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i still get 27mpg but i dont have ac so that might account for it...

what dirtbike rides in the back of your truck?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just took a 225 mile round trip the other day through the eastern end of long island new york. I figured out the mileage at 32.3 mpg and thats with 2 hours of traffic each way through the hamptons.

·
The Blue Pwns Joo!
1,901 Posts
A/C has little to no effect on gas milage...

Also, new plugs WILL NOT change your RPMs on the freeway... unless they're those new gear changing plugs you can get from Summit.:rotf:

I get 29mpg out of mine on the freeway...

·
Registered
421 Posts
+1 are you rich or something or related to bush cause no one gets premium cheap anymore

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 are you rich or something or related to bush cause no one gets premium cheap anymore
I just wanted to see how many miles I can get on premium.

Also usually you get about 10% more mileage on premium, so if the different is less than 10% (right now it is about 6% more expensive), premium is cheaper.

So I still get crappy mileage. Hmm I wonder what is costing me.

I have heard from many different sources that AC also burns some fuel, if only a little bit more.

I guess I have to run it in and get it inspected by my mechanic, there must be a rich

I rode 209 miles, took me 9 gallons even (plus a squirt) to refill, that's 23.2 mpg.

I did take it over 80 mph a couple time and had two sessions of stop and gos, 10 minutes each.

·
PRAISE THE LOWERED
1,181 Posts
23 mph highway..and its a 4.3 with factory plugs/wires/cap! and 18ish city i think.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
i get near 400 miles per tank city driving. that is roughly 26mpg.

i use regular everytime! i use lucas fuel treatment about 3 times a year. i have an e-fan, intake, and an extra 250 pounds from stereo equipment at all times in my truck. plus my girl half the time.

so me (140 pounds)and my girl (115 pounds), stereo stuff (250 pounds).

i guess i should get lower mileage but i coast alot! get to 10 over the speed limit and coast. then i coast down hill alot too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Bladehines, thanks for replying. I am glad another Hombre owner gives me his gas mileage.

I think I am going to go back to regular, once this tank is nearly empty, and do another 2-commute mpg report. I used premium because it was so sluggish with the old plugs.

As for occupants + stereo weight (250lbs??? Wow!) I guess it has a little incidence, but not that much. I weigh 210 lbs myself (I swear I am not fat) but it should not make that much of a difference.

I also do not have any mods yet, I intend to do the intake mod first, then the e-fan and each time will report for differences in MPG.

I do not coast that much. I tend to get into a lower gear for passing power and also because here people are aggressive. If you have too much of a security space ahead of you, they cut you off and give you the finger.

I was thinking that some of these MPGs posted were either the result of mods, riding habit or miscalculation (they will not like this one).

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
yea mine in winter or with agressive driving, i get 19-22. if i drive it right! and coast and shift early i get 26+ mpg. i could get some where near 35 on the highway if i draft like i do with my girls honda.

she gets 32-33 city, and 35-36 highway. i get near 41-42 highway when i drive it! lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

what dirtbike rides in the back of your truck?
I ride a 2001 Husaberg FE501e, fully dual sported and with more mods than most of the trucks over here. The suspension itself cost more than the truck.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i guess ive seen alot of those huskies being supermotos... what suspension do you have?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is a Husaberg, not a Husqvarna, although they are related, have the same colors and the chain on the right side.

Suspension by MX-Tech, totally rebuilt the shock and I have Enzo subtanks.

What do you have on that photo? I mean on the right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts