41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,346 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

Got the front all done. Started working on the rear. the roll pan is 3 pieces that needs to be fitted. The filler plate they sent for the tailgate handle i think is too thick, I'm going to make a new one out of thinner sheet metal.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
..Got the tailgate shaved yesterday. I forgot how bad the tailgate was, must have had hail damage or something in its previous life. Anyways, i always use 'kitty hair' or similar products over any areas i have welded on. It's a stronger material than bondo, and makes a great foundation to build on. From there a thin skim coat of Rage Gold over the entire tailgate, block and prime. It'll sit outside for any shrinking, and then will block it out a few more times. It's black, it needs special attention to make sure it's ready for paint.

Rectangle Artifact Art Font Metal

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Blocked out that above primer after it sat for a week, and applied 3 more coats of primer. I put the tailgate on the truck and started to fit the roll pan. I sent the roll pan out for powder coating as there are quite few angles and areas i wont be able to get primer on when it's welded up, so i wanted to make sure it was protected.
This roll pan is a grant kustoms 3 piece pan, and fits very well, but at roughly $700 you would hope so.

couple of weeks I'll paint the tailgate, and roll pan, im just too busy with other stuff right now.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Got an appointment on the 14th to get the G80 and 3.42 swapped to a Detroit Truetrac and 4.10 gearing..

That should help get the revs going a bit quicker.

The cam swap and all the other work I had done is awesome, but it raised the usable area to a much higher RPM. Looking forward to the new gears.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

Was able to get out the welder and grinders and get the roll pan mounted permanently.

The truck has been in the shop for a few days. It started pulling to the right and I noticed tire wear on my front drivers. While it was there, I had them check their work and make sure everything was tight and good to go. Ended up replacing the upper control arms as the bushings didn’t look so hot. Oil change, new alignment, truck is good to go.

Next is the 3.42 to 4.10 and detriot truetrac upgrade..

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The gear change was a great upgrade. Made the truck drive totally different. Nice and smooth, takes off from a dead stop easier.
I'm sure i lost downlow torque, plus with removing the VVT the truck was noticeably doggier when driving under 40 mph.
The 4.10s made that disappear, and it's a different animal now.
chirps tires pretty hard in 2nd and small chirp into 3rd.
Oh, it leaves nice black lines now too.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts