S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
**** you
9,528 Posts
I read on another forum, This guy said that the zeta platform wont be sold in north america, But they will probably come out with a replacement platform for the zeta as an alternative. again, probly just more speculation, But it would be cool to see that happen.

·
daily dodge driver
3,516 Posts
Someone deffinantly has there heads up there asses. I have a feeling GM will turn it around and figure out the cash cow right now is muscle car.....but then again its GM, they look like somethin good is gonna happen then boom they mess up and produce a turd. There power line up right now: SS truck sucks ass, the new SS Impala and carlos look bad ass, the cobalt is just another ricer car to me. But hey who knows what will go on

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Buddy of mine bought an M6 '04 GTO for $22,000. They really shaved off the price when they found out the cars weren't selling well. I think the '05 with the sports appearance package is something like $33,000. That's kinda not close to $40k.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having read all this i need to put some info into this. First off is the Corvette. Well, most people want to try to compare it to the Mustang and you just can't. Someone here had it right when they went 1. Mustang 2. GTO 3. Cobra 4. Corvette. The Corvette was built around this notion: Make a sports car that will rival the Italian Imports at less than half the price. Personally, i think they more than accomplished that. The 06 Z-06 looks to push the Diablos hard.

Secondly: the new line up. The 2.8, 3.5, and 3.9... i don't know why people put so little faith in it. Yes, it's new. It's not another V-cylindered engine with 8 bores in it. Guess what? Most of the big blocks in the day couldn't put out 900-1000 HP like the little 2.2 Ecotec does (yes, i realize that at 1000 HP the ecotec only puts out about 400 foot pounds, whereas the big blocks would put out around 700 foot pounds)[Note: I also realize that torque wins races, but you all are proving in your chats here: Horsepower sells cars :) ]. The Inline engine system is based off the 2.2 ecotec and personally i feel they will be as, if not more reliable, than the old unkillable 4.3L that were in these S-10s. The difference is, being inline, they are more receptive to modification. To continue along this line the Cobalt as a ricer... that's exactly what it is supposed to be. Why make fun of it? The Cobalt SS was designed to compete with the Honda ricer burners everyone has. WHO DO YOU ALL THINK IS WINNING THE MARKET?? The import ricers mainly due to a movie like "The Fast and The Furious" and i guess i don't blame them. Looking at the Eclipse on that movie (should you have seen it). I'm sorry but that car looks better than i could EVER get my 1987 Monte Carlo SS to look (which has never seen snow, just repainted, and is being restored now). And guess the sad fact of life: The money spending crowd is the 18-24 year olds. The Impalas and Monte Carlos are headed for the better direction with a rumored 5.3 V8 in them soon, but they are meant for the 30+ crowd, which isn't interested in dropping $20,000 every time they get bored with their car. They finally realize the value of money and how hard it is to come by.

I won't lie, the Colorado is a mistake of sorts. That is specifically why i'm out looking for a 1998+ S-10 ZR2 instead of buying a new truck... they have more power, look beefier, but they don't have that "wow" factor for one, and two: They don't haul as much weight for trailering. Why they don't i will never know. Why i brought it up, to show a simple point that it is slightly less than the S-10. Yes, it may have needed to stay. But i won't argue. Times change and so does everyone in those times. The s-10 had to die to be updated. The Cavalier had to die from its age as well and replaced by the Cobalt (which i think will do better once reviews and talk get out about it).

I don't know about the Zeta platform, i can't talk about that. I have not been keeping up on my greek letters lately and don't care to. I will keep up on the cars coming out more than anything. But i do know one thing and that is they are still doing 50-60 hours a week at the largest engine plant in the world. If they were so bankrupt... could they continue to push THAT many engines out a day?? GM always has tricks up it's sleeve someplace, they, i personally feel, are just backbuilding for something and are willing to take losses now. But like many have said: It's a wait and see factor for the company now.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
GM is crap. they have beem for a long time.

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
Zapnoma said:
stupid

with the way gas is right now, and going to rise soon again, and not only now but in coming years most likely, making trucks/SUV's is just stupid.

:thumbdown
well if u look at it gas wise then it's just as stupid to produce big motor big hp rwd cars.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
CustomS10 said:
25highway, 17city. well roughly obviously.

figure a crew cab truck is 14-22 3mpg isn't much of a diff.
are you fvcking serious?

22mpg in a fullsize CREW cab truck????????????????????????????????????????/

My dad's k1500 gets maybe, MAYBE 15mpg all highway. My friends Z71 gets about 14mpg on the highway.

Where in the motherfvck are you getting 22mpg?????????/////

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
Zapnoma said:
are you fvcking serious?

22mpg in a fullsize CREW cab truck????????????????????????????????????????/

My dad's k1500 gets maybe, MAYBE 15mpg all highway. My friends Z71 gets about 14mpg on the highway.

Where in the motherfvck are you getting 22mpg?????????/////
buddies 98 xcab z71 gets low to mid 20 consistently! that and a quick look at mileage estimates show low 20 area.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
CustomS10 said:
buddies 98 xcab z71 gets low to mid 20 consistently! that and a quick look at mileage estimates show low 20 area.
Well I dunno how the **** your buddy is getting "low to mid 20's" especially in a fullsize when my ex cab S10 barely gets 20-21mpg *pure* highway.

Plus, not too mention no one gets that around here in a fullsize pickemup.

:wacko:

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
Zapnoma said:
Well I dunno how the **** your buddy is getting "low to mid 20's" especially in a fullsize when my ex cab S10 barely gets 20-21mpg *pure* highway.

Plus, not too mention no one gets that around here in a fullsize pickemup.

:wacko:
i've seen another truck, somewhat similar to it that has gotten in the 20s. I've only seen it once so it may have been a fluke but i doubt it. Ur taking it in the ass from ur 4.3 if u can only get 20-21 highway.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
CustomS10 said:
i've seen another truck, somewhat similar to it that has gotten in the 20s. I've only seen it once so it may have been a fluke but i doubt it. Ur taking it in the ass from ur 4.3 if u can only get 20-21 highway.
I'm thinking it's a major fluke.

If you pick up a copy of Consumer's Guide or any other magazine, you will NEVER see 18mpg+ for a fullsize.

CG just did a couple of trucks and the Ford F150 got the best mpg and that was like 12/17mpg. The Dodge Hemi got like 13mpg on the highway.

And I bet you 98% of the people on here with an ext. cab 4.3l/auto with 3.42 gears are getting right at/or around 20mpg on the highway.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Hmm well at my dealer all the silverados and tahoe get 16/19 or 16/20.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
NCHEVYHEVN3 said:
Hmm well at my dealer all the silverados and tahoe get 16/19 or 16/20.
Is that stickered, or real life?

Cuz my truck stickers at like 16/24mpg.....and the only time I've ever gotten 24mpg+ was coming back from Colorado to Kansas and I got 416mi on 16.5gals of fuel.

I just hit my low fuel light today, so thats around 15gals on about 305mi. You do the math.

·
Registered
11,005 Posts
Zapnoma said:
ding ding ding, this is the key issue.

real world mileage is nearly always worse than the sticker. i average about 13 mpg in my 2000 silverado ext cab 4x4

however, americans don't care enough about gas prices to stop buying trucks and suv's, they are and will continue to be a cash cow for GM and every other manufacturer. that said i think its a mistake to put off car development in order to advance tuck development because GM is way way way behind in car development as it is.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Zapnoma said:

Cuz my truck stickers at like 16/24mpg.....and the only time I've ever gotten 24mpg+ was coming back from Colorado to Kansas and I got 416mi on 16.5gals of fuel.

I just hit my low fuel light today, so thats around 15gals on about 305mi. You do the math.
Ehh yea but its not completly impossible to pull those numbers. Just keep off the throttle and u should do decent but if your worried about fuel economy and pissed cause your truck or suv doesn't get good gas milage then go get a honda. Your the one who bought it so don't be complaining.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts