S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to install the 2004 4.3 and 5 speed to replace the tired and worn out original motor and 5 speed I have found a few differences in the electronics on the 2004 also it does not have an egr has anyone else done this swap and can they offer any advice as to how to address the differences I am using the 96 ecm

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
Use the Intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds off of the old engine.(edit: you can use the new injectors in the old intake manifold if you want, you can also tune the egr out if you want to use the new manifold, but you will need the ect sensor under the thermostat housing)

Good luck on the knock sensors, not sure if you have gotten that far yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rat said:
Use the Intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds off of the old engine.(edit: you can use the new injectors in the old intake manifold if you want, you can also tune the egr out if you want to use the new manifold, but you will need the ect sensor under the thermostat housing)

Good luck on the knock sensors, not sure if you have gotten that far yet.
Thanks Rat
I think I will drill and tap in the front temp sensor into the new manifold
How do I tune out the EGR?
as far as the knock sensors can I just swap them also?I see they have different connectors

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
The knock sensors probably also use different threads if i remember right. You might have to get creative here.

To tune out the egr you would need to get a mail order tune, or you could buy tuner cat. Or you make friends with someone who has tuner cat that will turn off the egr codes for you.

And, the new intake manifold may have a plug for you to install the temp sensor into, i know my 2000 has the plug, but no sensor. If it isn't pre drilled and tapped you probably see the flat where it is suposed to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well looks like I will not get it finished tomorrow tapping the temp sensor will be no problem however reprogramming could be a chore, I am guessing it would still run but give trouble codes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bigger job than I had anticipated not used to these modern engines with so many darn sensors, also I will have to cut a new hole in the floor for the later model shifter it is a few inches farther back no problem just an extra thing to do

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,045 Posts
ozinus said:
Will the Hypertech do the same as the Tuner Cat ?
:haha: No where near the control you get with TunerCat

with HTPP you get to select through some pre programed "tunes" with TunerCat you write your tune to your specific application

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts

·
Banned
2,270 Posts

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
02_Vortech said:
HEY THEY DO MAKE A TUNER CAR FOR THE 2000 to 2004 4.3L- hmmmmm
Yes. It has been out for more than a year now. The '00 4.3's in the s10's are actualy part of the '98-'00 group though.

Ls1 edit also works for the '01 and up trucks. And i wouldn't be suprized if hptuners and efi live also worked. Both of these have wideband loging scanners on the market, so if i had the ls1 style ecm of the '01 and up trucks i would probably look more into these. Especaily Hp tuners.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
You probably could, the wiring would be a chore though. Keeping the gauges working would be the hardest part in my opinion. You may run into passlock problems as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a few notes on the swap
Had to drill and tap front temp sensor in inlet manifold
had to swap driver side temp sensor to fit 96 harness
had to redrill and tap out knock sensor hole for 96 knock sensor
had to splice vss plug from 2004 harness to 96 harness could not swap vss
had to use 96 fuel lines

any other items I will list later so if someone does search there will be a list in this thread

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.