S-10 Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Randy
603 Posts
I got lucky today found a good 4l60e out of a 06 Tahoe 2wd $190.00 at my local Pick-n-Pull looks like it was rebuilt back in March of 2017 there's a sticker on the torque converter. The only bad thing is the brain surgeon that works there used an air chisel to poke a hole through the pan and it went through the 1-2 accumulator housing then they used that yellow crayon like marker to try to plug up the hole and turn the fluid reddish yellow in the pan. So I need to replace the pan and the 1-2 accumulator housing and it should be all good. I'm going to check with my local transmission shops see if any of them have a transmission Dyno so I can have them check it out.
View attachment 349286
View attachment 349306
View attachment 349287
View attachment 349288
I have an accumulator housing if needed. Pan can be welded up...
Also keep in mind that the LS (24206952) bellhousing is 5/8" deeper than the 4.3L (24206579) bellhousing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have an accumulator housing if needed. Pan can be welded up...
Also keep in mind that the LS (24206952) bellhousing is 5/8" deeper than the 4.3L (24206579) bellhousing.
Thank you but I already have replaced the accumulator housing and I put a new pan on it . It is now sitting on a shelf waiting to be put in one day. Already have a new torque converter for it also with a little bit higher stall. Nothing crazy trying to keep it drivable for the street. And I went through the valve body with a transgo kit and .500 boost valve and Corvette servo. I set it up the same as I did my other 4L60E in my 03 Sonoma and 04 Blazer with 4.3L.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Decided to go with Dirty Dingo DD-LS-AC-LM-CMV lower passenger side mount A/C bracket kit with Sanden SD7B10 mini compressor. I know I might have to notch the frame on the passenger side but I'm sure it won't be as bad as doing it with the factory 5.3 AC pump. After looking at all the other different options for the AC pump mounting up high on the passenger side of the engine bay. it just looks so damn crowded in there for me. By choosing this AC mount I can use the LS2 harmonic balancer and accessory drive I will shorten the 5 3 about 3/4 of an inch and gain some room.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,335 Posts
It's a bit tight, and you'd be better off making your own lines. I got my high mount to work.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It's a bit tight, and you'd be better off making your own lines. I got my high mount to work. View attachment 353161

View attachment 353162
Also what I like about the kit is that it shortens the serpentine belt quite a bit. And the AC pump will be on its own belt so if it happens to fail it's not going to take everything out with it. I had it happen with the 4.3 once the pump locked and broke the serpentine belt. Must have had a real good clutch in the front of it ;it should have slipped but it didn't.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
That sucks. How did you find out it was bent?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
sorry for the late reply somehow I missed your post. oldeerslayer noticed in one of the pictures I posted that the driver's front wheel was further back than it should be. I looked at it measured it against the other side and it was about 3-in further back from the passenger side. Had a friend come by and look at it he said it was bent . About a month later after I got it put back together I took it to his shop to look at it and align it that's when he told me that the frame is fubar and go get another one this one will cost too much to fix. So that's why the new frame.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Working on my alternator / power steering setup. With LS1/GTO harmonic balancer & water pump.
Camera accessory Automotive tire Cameras & optics Film camera Motor vehicle

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive air manifold

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Bumper

And for the alternator / power steering bracket I use the knockoff ICT Billet for now because of the modifications that I'm doing to the bracket. I didn't want to screw up the expensive one. I will take it out on the cheap one. I shorten the spacers by 3/4-in to fit the GTO harmonic balancer & water pump.
I added the extra pulley to help keep the belt from fluttering around. It's a long run from the water pump to the alternator 14 1/2-in.
I did have to notch the block behind the power steering pump about 1/4 of an inch to make the power steering pump fit.

Pulley used on alternator / power steering bracket.

Gates Drive Align Belt Pulley P/N 36270 Steel

Gates 36328 Belt Drive Idler Steel

Multi-V Belt P/N 775K6

Amazon bracket.
Amazon.com: GSKMOTOR LS Engine Serpentine Bracket Kits Replacement for 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, 6.2L Truck & SUV Alternator & Power Steering Pump (Swap Conversion) : Automotive

ICT Billet bracket
LS Truck Alternator and Power Steering Kit Driver Side 551519X-3

ICT bracket

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I cc my 243 cylinder heads today and it was 65cc per combustion chamber. So off to the machine shop and have them mailed down to 61cc so that would be roughly .015- .020 mailed off each head. I also ordered a HP tuners MPVI2+.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,335 Posts
The thing that's going to suck is there isn't much room even if the ports are in the back. These poke right out of the side and take up a lot of room...even with short drop hose fittings. You can't clock these compressors. I wonder if the compressor Connor94 used would help with hose routing.

Edit:....after a closer look, there's even less room in the rear.
Just for comparison purposes, here's mine...same compressor in with the Holley High mount kit.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Steering wheel

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The new compressor sits an inch closer to the block and sets about an inch and a half higher over the stock compressor. So I'm hoping any frame notching I do will be minimal. I need to make time to set the new donor frame up and set the motor on it. Want to get all the work done to the frame before I put it under the Blazer.
Product Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Motor vehicle

·
time to get cereal
5,637 Posts
I guess it's worth it to have to basically pull a motor to remove an A/C compressor?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I picked up my 243 heads from the machine shop today. Had them mill 20,000 off each head so it went from 65 cc to 62 CC perchamber. With the Piston I am using and Chevrolet Performance head gasket P/N 12575329 my new compression ratio will be 10 .5: 1 for my 5.3L that should do well with the LS6 cam I'm running.

·
Been there Done it
12,444 Posts
Good choice for heads. Thinking about putting a pair I have on an LQ4, but not sure I want to run premium with it getting close to $6 a gallon in some places. Around here it's only at $4, but that's 75¢ a gallon more. X18 that's $13.5 per tank full.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Good choice for heads. Thinking about putting a pair I have on an LQ4, but not sure I want to run premium with it getting close to $6 a gallon in some places. Around here it's only at $4, but that's 75¢ a gallon more. X18 that's $13.5 per tank full.
If you have access to E30 in your area the octane rating for that is 94.7. I see some states have E30 right at the pump. If not you can mix pump gas with e85 and make your own E30. That's what I'm doing here I make my own E30 mix. Since I started using the mix I've had no pinging at all. Even on premium both of my 4.3 would ping on premium that's telling me the quality of the fuel here sucks. And we have the second highest gas prices in the country besides Hawaii that's #1. What's really funny here in California they talk about how they're the leader in green but trying to find e85 is not fun. There is only one station here where I'm at and it's not on the great side of town. And the next nearest one is 30 miles away. Nothing like a 60 mile round trip for gas kind of defeats the purpose. Right now 91 is $4.99 a gallon and E85 is 2.99 a gallon.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts