S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i run a hei distributor with a v8 in my 03 s10 .the heater core tubes look like they might interfere with the cap on an hei. Anyone running hei distributor in sbc s10

·
Been there Done it
13,192 Posts
Most swaps are done with an engine newer than the truck. In the case of a 98+ S10 where the heater hoses exit directly behind the intake a newer Chevy engine isn't a problem because it has no distributor.
In the case of 98-02 you can use a Vortec 5.7 which has the crab cap distributor and it clears the hoses unless the engine is set back farther than most available mounts position it. I found it helps to use pre formed heater hoses that have 90° bend right at the end so you can hug the firewall over towards the heater box.
If you live in a state that doesn't do inspections and want to use an engine older than the truck I'd suggest the small HEI distributor with a separate coil.
Technically it's illegal federally to use an older engine, but they don't have investigators out looking for swapped trucks.
If you are dumb enough to violate the Clean Air Act and do it on a TV show repeatedly (Diesel Bros.) the feds will bust you to the tune of $848,000. The Judge actually was easy on them. EPA's lawyers were asking for $6 million in fines.
While researching how much the final fine was I ran across another article that said the Diesel Brothers also started Federal TIres in a deal with a Taiwan company, but had to give up ownership of that also because of a copyright infringement. One of them has sadly died in drowning accident. Some guys just have bad luck, I guess.
Or maybe they just did things w/o looking into the possible repercussions of their actions.
Before you put that old engine in your 03 you might want to research what other issues you will have. Like the fact all your gauges and ABS won't work w/o the computer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts