S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2003 S10 4.3 2wd long bed with 120,000 miles on it, it is in very good condition overall but obviously it needs some regular maintenance work.

So on the list is

1. Transmission fluid and filter
2. Spark plugs/wires
3. Oil & filter
4. Coolant flush.

So my question is simple, the radiator cap says Dex-Cool on it but I heard a lot of horror stories about that coolant so what is the best option for coolant to use. Or is Dex-Cool re-formulated and will not hurt it?.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
How does the coolant look now? I personally would flush it all out till all the water is clear and change it over to green. If it is clean looking as is, keep running dexcool. You will find this debate on the site as some still like the dexcool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does the coolant look now? I personally would flush it all out till all the water is clear and change it over to green. If it is clean looking as is, keep running dexcool. You will find this debate on the site as some still like the dexcool.
Coolant in it is light orange if i'm remembering correctly I checked out a few vehicles before this purchase, it is hot right now just got back with it so ill have to verify again later.

and yea I'm going to end up flushing it 2 times with water before I put any fresh coolant in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is still clean looking, you will probably be good
If it is still clean looking, you will probably be good
Alright checking on it, it is actually hard to tell what coolant it is due to it being dirty.

So I am thinking of doing a complete flush and using Peak Long Life 50/50 150,000 miles or 5 year it says "Compatible for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks "

"It contains a Long Life coolant technology that is compatible for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks – regardless of make, model, year or original antifreeze color. "

·
time to get cereal
3,416 Posts
Save your money and skip the 50/50 stuff. Just buy some distilled water from the grocery store and mix it yourself.

·
time to get cereal
3,416 Posts
Yea... is it half the price though? You get two gallons out of 1 gallon of concentrate... trying to figure out why I had to explain that.

Reactions: Mostizzle

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you dont get ALL the dexcool out and put green there they dont mix and it will gel up . its critical you get it all out

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you dont get ALL the dexcool out and put green there they dont mix and it will gel up . its critical you get it all out
I will be doing like 2 or 3 flushes with a garden hose. I will most likely remove the thermostat and bolt the housing back on and do the following.

Drain it
Fill it with tap water
Run it for a few minutes
Repeat until the water comes out clear.

I will also most likely flush the heater core by itself.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
If you can get to the block drain plugs, it would help with the crud in the block.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts