S-10 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

Been there Done it
Sounds like a good choice. In a DD torque is what you feel and this cam doesn't kill it at low rpms to gain HP at the top like a more aggressive one would. Problem with a lot of those high rpm cams is that's not where you drive 99.5% of the time.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #82
It sounds like a good choice. In a DD torque is what you feel and this cam doesn't kill it at low RPMs to gain HP at the top like a more aggressive one would. The problem with a lot of those high rpm cams is that's not where you drive 99.5% of the time.
Thanks, That is my thinking, I want to be able to use it as a truck still to haul stuff for home and car projects without killing fuel economy too much but have some power to play if needed. Since most of the new tech confuses me I hope to take it to a local shop for the final tune and see what it puts down when finished for bragging rights or if not impressive I may have to keep it a secret. 馃ぃ

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #83
I just spent more money than I probably should have this month. I ordered the Holley 20-138 accessory drive kit, LS6 intake, and Vette fuel rail to take advantage of sales going on. I wish I could afford to order headers oil pan, and mounts while they are on sale too but my money only stretches so far unlike some people on here that can order everything at once. I'm not naming names though! 馃ぃ

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #84
The power steering reservoir came yesterday and I got a chuckle when I saw the GM sticker still on it but Holley put their emblem on the cap. 馃ぃ

Registered
Here is the L33 that will be going in eventually. I'm not going to take the truck apart until I have all the pieces in hand to do the swap so it will not be out of commission too long.

How do you get through E check ,we get tested every other year in my county Ohio.????
Here is the L33 that will be going in eventually. I'm not going to take the truck apart until I have all the pieces in hand to do the swap so it will not be out of commission too long.

How do you get through E check ??????

Been there Done it
In most states as long as the engine (and in some states the corresponding trans) are the same year or newer they just have to pass emissions for the year they were originally used. I.e., a 2005 L33 has to pass 2005 L33 emissions even if it's in a 82 S10. You're not allowed for you to go backwards. If you put a 1967 283 in a 2003 you would still have to pass 2003 emissions, which obviously wouldn't pass. One of the reasons carbed swaps are not legal most places. Federal EPA rules also prohibit backwards swaps.

Registered
In most states as long as the engine (and in some states the corresponding trans) are the same year or newer they just have to pass emissions for the year they were originally used. I.e., a 2005 L33 has to pass 2005 L33 emissions even if it's in a 82 S10. You're not allowed for you to go backwards. If you put a 1967 283 in a 2003 you would still have to pass 2003 emissions, which obviously wouldn't pass. One of the reasons carbed swaps are not legal most places. Federal EPA rules also prohibit backwards swaps.
I just finished what oldeerslayer was stating in his post, thread, or what ever the correct term is. the Ohio EPA covered engine switched like deerslayer said ,but the Ohio rules stated, you cant use a heavy duty engine in a light duty [ car ] I guess that means trucks also.I dont think that,s very clear, does that mean no v-8 in a small truck,. or no big block.??? The best rules were for kit cars , or home made, or self assembled, They are titled on the year of inspection & can be exempt of e check, if you can prove the engine was made, before test were made to be mandatory We also have a 26 year or older for historical plate, that don,t require testing. I also read about what they consider tampering, that will make your hair stand on end... There are other counties around that don,t require testing, so your lucky if you know someone that lives in these counties.......

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #91
How do you get through E check ,we get tested every other year in my county Ohio.????

How do you get through E check ??????
As Slayer stated in his post, in Colorado as long as the engine is the same year or newer and has all the emissions equipment for the year it was built it will pass. In my case, it's a 2006 L33 so 3 years newer than my truck so I shouldn't have a problem. I think the heavy-duty thing is because when the rules were originally made heavy-duty trucks didn't have as strict of emissions standards as cars and light-duty trucks. So an engine from a full-size half-ton going into a mid-size half-ton should be no problem.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #92
My required 21-1 spacer kit arrived today so I now have all of the Holley accessory drive parts. Depending on how my budget looks after the holidays my next purchase will either be the steering shaft and heater/AC box or the mounts and pan kit. I'm still deciding on which cam I will use but leaning toward the Summit truck swap SUM-8719 unless someone has a better suggestion. :cool:

Registered
Summit truck swap SUM-8719 unless someone has a better suggestion. :cool:
Too bad it's not like trying on a pair of shoes, although i'm thinking of maybe using this cam with my 5.3 build. I do see in the notes it requires computer tuning i'm assuming it's something you'll have done after you put your truck together? Looks like a good cam for something street driven. I've been considering using a fitech stand alone at this point something that would allow self tuning and hand held tuning without seeing a tuner or buying a lap top and hptuners or equivalent tuning software.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #94
Too bad it's not like trying on a pair of shoes, although i'm thinking of maybe using this cam with my 5.3 build. I do see in the notes it requires computer tuning i'm assuming it's something you'll have done after you put your truck together? Looks like a good cam for something street driven. I've been considering using a fitech stand alone at this point something that would allow self tuning and hand held tuning without seeing a tuner or buying a lap top and hptuners or equivalent tuning software.
Since I'm planning on having CPW modify my harness for me I will have them do the basic reflash on the computer for my combo. There is a shop here that specializes in late model Corvette tuning and racing, the owner has a 6 second C6, I will take it to them for the final tune. I bought some parts from him and although they normally only work on late Corvettes, he liked what I am doing with my truck and volunteered to do the tuning for me. :cool:

Registered
Nice!!!! unfortunately the only reputable tuner near me is 4 hours away, even a few noted performance shops up here use him for dyno tuning, just a sign of the times these old school guys don't deal with tuning fuel injection although the rest of their work is remarkable

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #96
This is the 1200 rear wheel horsepower beast that I was talking about. This guy knows Corvette engines.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #97
I dropped off my LS6 intake to be hydro dipped with a carbon fiber pattern yesterday and it is supposed to be done in 2 weeks. Christmas has slowed down the parts buying quite a bit but I'm hoping to get my cam and a few other goodies in January.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #98
My trunion kit came last week in this fancy box.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #99
My "dream wheels" went on sale at the end of December so I jumped on the chance to save a few $ and bought them. I have wanted a set of Amerian Torque Thrust wheels since I bought my first car in high school and have never been able to afford them. 17X8 for the front and 17X9.5 rears. I took them out long enough to install the valve stems and take a pic then put them back in the boxes until spring when I will buy tires and install them and immediately go to cruise night to show them off! :cool:馃ぃ

Registered
Congratulations on the wheels! I too have wanted Torque Thrust II since high school, but that was only the '90s for me! They look sharp.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts