S-10 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

Crazy Engineer
Since I didn't want to wait to mail order POR15 or KBS I went to ACE Hardware and got Rustoleum rust seal primer/sealer that you can paint over rust supposedly even though I'm getting 99.9% of the rust off. Then I'm top coating with ACE's rust stop gloss black. I'm thinking that now that I'm retired and don't have to drive to work when they are dousing the roads with mag chloride when 2 snowflakes fall it should hold up fairly well. When it snows now I just sit and watch through the window and wait for the roads to dry. 馃ぃ
Lol must be nice. Whole reason I even got my Z was to save the Passat from that crap that they treat the roads with. Now that I'm putting all this time in to the truck I wanna save it too 馃槀.

Frame is looking good tho, but you might wanna look into finishing it with some automotive 2k clear or something. The rustoleum I used when I did my frame before I started swapping it only lasted about a year before it had decent little knicks and chips. I wire wheeled the frame pretty **** clean too, and used their red rust primer, but I think their paint is more suited for small static projects and not meant for tough automotive use.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #63
This week I got some more parts for my truck. Flynbuy finally sent my brake conversion parts. I called about 2 weeks ago and his wife answered. I told her the situation and asked her to have him call back which he never did but it evidently woke him up and he got my parts shipped. I also got a set of LS7 lifters that arrived the day before the brake parts so I feel like I'm making progress again.

I don't think I mentioned it but I bought a BMW K1200LT a little over a week ago and rode it home from Sacramento. I hit rain on and off from Rock Springs WY all the rest of the way home. Due to the rain causing poor visibility I hit a bad pothole in one of the endless construction zones in Wyoming and when I purchased the new front tire that was sorely needed, I found out that the pothole bent my front rim so I had to get it straightened plus while working on that found the fork seals had started to leak so I have had a busy and expensive week. I have it almost back together Just have to install the fender and some trim so I can get a little riding in before the freeze and snow we are supposed to get Wednesday night. 馃ゴ

Here is a pic of it at the hotel in Tooele UT on the way home.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #64
Today I finished putting sound mat on the floor so I could install my new carpet, seats, and console. I got the carpet in before a cold front moved in but couldn't finish trimming the sides and rear in time so I cut the holes to mount the seats and console and froze my ass off while getting them installed. When the weather warms up in a couple of days I can finish trimming and put the rest of the interior together. Then it's back to collecting parts for the swap.

The last pic is the studs I installed to mount the console the same as the factory did. I drilled and tapped the double thick metal where the studs go then screwed button head bolts in from the bottom with Locktite. I will post some more pics when the weather warms up and I get it finished.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #65
I forgot to ask, what is the electronic box that was under the carpet and now under the console?

Been there Done it
It's the inertia sensor for the air bags.

Been there Done it
You want cold, it's supposed to get to 7掳F (-14掳C) here tonight. Was a balmy 12掳F (-11掳C) this morning. Daytime is not as bad it's up to 24.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #73
Last week it was 2 degrees here setting a new record for the date. You can keep it up north, got up to 50 today and we will be 66 tomorrow and 70 on Saturday so after I finish my carpet project I think I will take the BMW out for a ride. 馃槑

Registered
Be careful of the sand still on the roads. I laid my bike down twice from off season riding.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #75
Be careful of the sand still on the roads. I laid my bike down twice from off season riding.
Did that when I was 15, slid under the front of a parked car after hitting sand while turning a corner on a residential street. They no longer use sand here mostly Mag-chloride that they spray on the main roads but not much of that so far since the cold has followed very warm days so the pavement was still warm enough that the snow melted quickly without any help from chemicals.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #76
I finished putting the interior back together today. Now I just need to do the sound mat in the doors and roof.

Here is the pics of the new seats and console installed.

The under seat powered sub will not fit under the new seats so I think I will just mount it behind the passenger seat, it will end up under the jump seat if it ever gets used.

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #77
Replaced my oil cooler lines this morning but I think most of my oil leak is the timing cover so still need to fix that. After I finished I took the BMW out for a very pleasant ride since it was 77 degrees today. It was still 72 when I got home at 4:30 and the sun was about to go behind the Rockies. :p

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #79
Better than being cold all the time like Minnesota! 馃ぃ

Old Fart
Discussion Starter #80
I changed out my oil cooler lines yesterday since Badwrench insisted that was where my oil drip was coming from but while I was under there I saw that I have oil definitely coming from the timing cover as well as I thought from the beginning. Since my back has been bothering me a lot lately I think I will take it to my local shop and see how much they want to replace that cheap assed plastic cover for me Someone should have made a cast-aluminum cover for GMs crappy plastic covers. 馃が

I'm thinking my next investment for the L33 should be the cam. This is the one I'm leaning toward at the moment so I'm looking for some opinions keeping in mind I'm not building a race truck, just want a DD that is fun to drive while still practical.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts