S-10 Forum banner
261 - 280 of 282 Posts

·
Old Fart
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Did you end up using those eBay headers? Are you going dual - in - dual out?
I haven't had a chance to test fit them yet so I don't know if I will use them yet. I'm still waiting for my dual exhaust system from Holley, supposed to ship in June. I plan on adding high-flow cats to the system to be smog legal 3" cats are pricy. :confused:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I went with the Hooker cast manifolds and was looking at the Holley dual n out. I don't really need a stainless system here in Florida but it would outlast me...heck an aluminized system would probably outlast me. I have a shop right down the road from me, I'll check his prices and compare...cheaper is not necessarily the way to go. Holley has the nerve to charge extra for adapters after you buy their manifolds.

·
Old Fart
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Just remember you will not get mandrel bends from a muffler shop. You could do like Rhotpursuit did and adapt a kit from Summit or Jegs.

·
Registered
1991 Irregular Cab Short-Short Bed
426 Posts
Just remember you will not get mandrel bends from a muffler shop. You could do like Rhotpursuit did and adapt a kit from Summit or Jegs.
Depends on the shop. Our local made the investment and can turn out some pretty nice stuff.

·
Old Fart
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
I've been in a lot of muffler shops and have never seen a mandrel bender in one so I would guess yours is one in a million.

Reactions: Rhotpursuit

·
Boozebag
10,041 Posts
You guys are super lucky.
No one in my area does (real or decent) custom exhaust work. Mandrel bender? Ha.
I end up buying all of the pre (mandrel) bends and fab a system myself.
Usually TIG weld joints, comes out pretty decent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully this build hasn't died and you just haven't had a chance to work on it? I'm currently procuring (slowly) parts for my Xtreme build and have been watching this one. Just picked up a 2wd 4l80 that I've been scouring for for months so I'm getting really anxious and excited.

I also just noticed you're just north of me. I'm in Durango.

·
Old Fart
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Hopefully this build hasn't died and you just haven't had a chance to work on it? I'm currently procuring (slowly) parts for my Xtreme build and have been watching this one. Just picked up a 2wd 4l80 that I've been scouring for for months so I'm getting really anxious and excited.

I also just noticed you're just north of me. I'm in Durango.
Right now I'm staying busy with other projects while waiting for back-ordered parts from Holley that were supposed to ship in June. I was going to tackle building my 4L60E myself but after reading a how-to book on the subject I'm intimated and need to find a good trans shop to do it for me.

I'm North and a long way East of Durango.

Today I was driving my truck to pick up some furniture I bought and the fuel pump went out so it's in a shop about 40 miles away now. If it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. 🤣

·
Registered
8 Posts
Right now I'm staying busy with other projects while waiting for back-ordered parts from Holley that were supposed to ship in June. I was going to tackle building my 4L60E myself but after reading a how-to book on the subject I'm intimated and need to find a good trans shop to do it for me.

I'm North and a long way East of Durango.

Today I was driving my truck to pick up some furniture I bought and the fuel pump went out so it's in a shop about 40 miles away now. If it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. 🤣
I hear you on that. I'm in the same boat with the 4l80 I just picked up. Trying to find someone trustworthy who won't tell me it needs a complete rebuild just to make an easy $3k even if it doesn't.

Yeah I'm up in the Parker/Centennial area quite often so the drive doesn't seem all that long anymore. Unless it's winter, then my butt stays home!

Sheesh, that is some luck! As they say, when it rains, it pours 😆 I have the notorious fuel pump whine in my Yukon so it's imminent I'll be in that same boat. although that's the planned donor vehicle so I won't be too butthurt if it happens.

·
Old Fart
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
I hear you on that. I'm in the same boat with the 4l80 I just picked up. Trying to find someone trustworthy who won't tell me it needs a complete rebuild just to make an easy $3k even if it doesn't.

Yeah I'm up in the Parker/Centennial area quite often so the drive doesn't seem all that long anymore. Unless it's winter, then my butt stays home!

Sheesh, that is some luck! As they say, when it rains, it pours 😆 I have the notorious fuel pump whine in my Yukon so it's imminent I'll be in that same boat. although that's the planned donor vehicle so I won't be too butthurt if it happens.
Next time you are in the area let me know and we can get together for lunch or dinner as I'm just a couple of miles north of Centennial.

·
Old Fart
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Last Wednesday I was on my way to pick up a piece of furniture I bought from an online auction in a town about 50 miles away and my fuel pump went out again. I was about 3 or 4 miles from the address so it would be too expensive to tow home so I had AAA tow to their recommended shop.

They called with an estimate of $1,100 to replace the pump and since I had too much going on to try and get it home to do myself I told them to go ahead. Friday when I got home there was a message from them to call when I could. I was thinking they were calling with the good news that I could pick up my truck this morning since they said it would be done today. I called this morning to find out that someone had stolen my stereo but no break-in damage so I can only assume they left it unlocked but of course they will not own up to it.

I'm so pissed that I can't see straight! So much for genuine Delphi parts, only lasted about 3,000 miles!

On top of that because I missed my pick up date I lost the furniture piece as well.

• Angry
Reactions: ProCycle

·
Old Fart
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
I drove over to the shop where my truck is and found out that a lot more is missing. My powered subwoofer, my emergency/junkyard tools, my VW first aid kit, VW roadside emergency kit, and a roll of the blue Scott paper towels. Of course, they broke my hard-to-find double-din dash face to get it out.

It is a good thing I didn't I have no way to catch up with them as I would be in jail for killing thieves.

This is what it looked like when I got there.

The square impression is where my powered sub was.

My tools were behind the driver's seat.

·
Old Fart
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
I'm so sorry Jim...I hate thieves.
Thanks, the worse thing is no replacement available because of the chip shortage plus trying to find another double din dash trim in charcoal.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,751 Posts
Thanks, the worse thing is no replacement available because of the chip shortage plus trying to find another double din dash trim in charcoal.
I'll try to get by the yard tomorrow. They have an Xtreme that's been there a couple weeks...never know. Does yours have the airbag switch?

261 - 280 of 282 Posts