S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

So I recently bought a 2003 S10 V6 Crew Cab and am having an issue with using the 4 wheel drive function on it.

When I first purchased it, the lights on the 2, 4L, and 4H buttons would come on (though I was never able to actually engage anything but 2wd), but now there are no lights on any of those (and of course, I am still unable to engage any sort of 4 wheel drive).

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Thanks in advance!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,683 Posts
Moved to Transmission/Rearend.

·
Been there Done it
9,214 Posts
Check ALL your fuses first. You should have at least one light. If all the fuses are OK start with a new 4wd switch. Let us know how that goes and we can go from there with all the other possibilities.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Tccm behind passenger kick panel is most likely the problem. Pull it and see if there is corrosion in the poi or on any prongs. If so hit the junk yard for a good clean one
Someone will chime in and say vacuum. I can absolutely guarantee the problem you have right now has NOTHING TO DO WITH VACUUM LINES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check ALL your fuses first. You should have at least one light. If all the fuses are OK start with a new 4wd switch. Let us know how that goes and we can go from there with all the other possibilities.
Do I check just #15 from the interior fuse box or do I also have some to check in the engine bay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tccm behind passenger kick panel is most likely the problem. Pull it and see if there is corrosion in the poi or on any prongs. If so hit the junk yard for a good clean one
Someone will chime in and say vacuum. I can absolutely guarantee the problem you have right now has NOTHING TO DO WITH VACUUM LINES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you, I will look into that.

·
Been there Done it
9,214 Posts
Do I check just #15 from the interior fuse box or do I also have some to check in the engine bay?
"ALL" doesn't refer to one fuse.
May be a misunderstanding on my part, but it seems as tho you don't want to put any time or effort into fixing this and are hoping for some interweb magic bullet. I've been wrong before, so don't take it personally.

Reactions: ala_frosty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"ALL" doesn't refer to one fuse.
May be a misunderstanding on my part, but it seems as tho you don't want to put any time or effort into fixing this and are hoping for some interweb magic bullet. I've been wrong before, so don't take it personally.
What I meant is if “all” meant a set of fuses meant specifically for the 4x4 system. Definitely know I’ll need to put some work in, but making sure I cover my bases correctly to avoid doing something I shouldn’t be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another thing is the courtesy light switch, my driver side one broke apart on my '99 and the 4wd stopped lighting and working. Replaced that switch, and got dome lights back, and the 4wd works again.

·
Been there Done it
9,214 Posts
I suspect that might have effected the light on the dash, but not the actual functioning of the 4wd. But I've been wrong before.
That is why I suggested checking ALL fuses. Sometimes it's something you don't associate with your issue that could be the problem.

Reactions: ala_frosty

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ill be the guy that says vacuum lines

The vacuum line from the transfer case switch to the actuator under the battery is rotten where it crosses over the passenger side of the engine. Take the battery out, find that little rubber line and follow it as it goes back over the engine then down the fire wall. You'll see where its rotten. Take a chunk of it to auto store and they will sell you the length you need.

Let us know when its fixed eh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts