S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I did the swap on my blazer. Runs well, but fighting the check engine light 02 sensor code which says that two of the sensors is not present.

I had a 0411 pcm flashed to a 2002 chevy express.

I was reading the 5.7 swap sticky (which is locked) and states that I had to run 12v wire to one of the pcm pin out in and run a ground wire to another pin out from the red connector.

I understand that above wiring part, but vague on the whole 02 sensor itself part .

My question is do I have to chance all 3 of my current blazer stock 02 sensors to the chevy express van 02 sensors?

Thanks in advance.

·
Hardhead
869 Posts
I don't have the answer but I'm in the process of swapping. I know you can have the 3rd sensor taken out of the equation through the flash. I'd just get a couple jy sensors from a 5.7 and put them in, in place of the 6 cylinder ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I was working on the 02 sensors on my truck, I NOW understand what the OP in the link in "how to swap a Vortec 350.." was saying regarding to only change the rear 02 sensor....

My blazer is a 2003. The front two 02 sensor before the cat has "square" plug ins which explains the 2001 and older S10/Blazers have the 2 front 02 sensor has the "flat" style plug ins which the same part number/02 sensors used in the 2002 chevy express before the cat.

Here a picture of a better understanding what I had to do.

The part doesn't make much sense on the OP in the link "how to swap a Vortec 350" is the pin outs he was explain to go into. He got pin #74 right for making 02 sensors hot when the key goes "on" postion...but the pin port #80 stating to use as a ground, which according to the schematic between 2003 Blazer/S10 and 2002 Express, pin port 80 has nothing/blank.

ALSO if this helps for future reference, I got a engine light code regarding about the "Generator F" (forgot the exact code number). I solved it by putting the "Generator F" wire into the proper pin port from the blazer/s10 PCM diagram to the new 2002 chevy express 0441 PCM diagram.

·
Been there Done it
8,222 Posts
Sounds like you're getting the hang of this swap electrical stuff. Lot of guys just can't figure it out. Just takes persistence to learn it.
Now you're telling us how to do it. Good for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you're getting the hang of this swap electrical stuff. Lot of guys just can't figure it out. Just takes persistence to learn it.
Now you're telling us how to do it. Good for you.
Exactly!

I just wish I have the correct wiring diagrams from the start. By me relying on somebody else's diagram I found during my research really screw me up...but that's what happens when you assume and should've been a red flag for me when that person who wrote/drew that particular diagram said "use at your own risk".......

Anyway just an update.

Basically all the codes I got left is the Crankshaft relearn, which according to my research is easy and just need to borrow a computer to do the relearn.

Have a P1665 code which basically means there is a short/open in the wire for the low fuel light in the Instrument Cluster Panel. The pinouts between the 2002 express and 2003 Blazer/S10 have the same purple wire for the fuel level which is port #54, which is good. However....on the 2002 express diagram it show that pin out #38 is another purple wire that also do the fuel level which the Blazers do not have (#38 is blank on the s10/blazer) which more likely explains what it is setting off the check engine light...

So having said that....I am hope to clear by tapping/splicing #38 and #54 together complete the circuit. From my research on the 2002 express wiring diagram. #54 purple wire goes to the fuel pump and #38 wire goes the low fuel light in the Instrument Cluster Panel.

If that doesn't work then I have to send the pcm out to shut that particular port/code off (I am trying to void this).

Last but not least....the 02 sensor codes from last week saying it is not present, which I THINK I am all set but don't know for sure until I drive it a certain about of miles/cycles to see if the code comes back because before I couldn't clear the code at all.

Lets see what I can get accomplish tomorrow!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just an update for anyone who cares to follow.

I am HAPPY to say that all the engine light codes are gone and just passed emissions in my state.

I am also to happy to say after many hours and weeks of working on this swap I am officially done. I did this swap to make is as factory as possible and I think I accomplish that.

Looking back at this swap to put a 1998 chevy 5.7 to 2003 blazer is not bad out all..... thats because I am the one who took the many hours of research what wire pin out goes where.

Probably the hardest/pita part was welding and installing larger diameter collector onto the stock 6 cylinder exhaust set up.

I must love this truck....

Just for future reference for those who are encountering this swap.

I had my 0411 pcm flash by PCM for less, which I recommend.

ESHAW, i think you are right. I think they did shut off the rear 02 sensor.

After the installed, the engine will run and you will be getting an arm list of engine codes.

Unfortunately, I don't have the exact engine codes and I apologize for this because at the time I just wanted it fix for once and for all, but Ill do the best to describe them.

Six Codes:

1) Camshaft Variation Relearn

2) Fuel Output Not Present

For the Camshaft Variation Relearn procedure, you MUST get a computer to do the relearn. Believe me......I spent hours to see if there another way or a short cut. There are none.

Good news is (at least in my case) I did the relearn with my snap on computer and it was very easy and quick, it took only a few minutes. Basically you raise the engine RPM slowly until it cuts off.

ALSO and must importantly the relearn also automatic delete/remove of the Fuel Output Not Present code.

3) Distributor timing code.

They say have someone rev the engine while at the same time have another person turn the distributor to be with in specs with having a computer on board.

Unfortunately in my case, this was a pita....i must've loose/tighten the distibutor hold down a millions times because the whole reving/turn distributor fiasco simply didn't work for me.

Instead, I just measure the distributor cap screw to the back of the intake manifold of an existing 5.7 vortec truck that runs and drives fine WITHOUT that code.

I did that measurement and all is good. The distributor is with in proper time with that code off. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know.

4) Bank One Sensor One not present.
5) Bank Two Sensor One not present.

You have to make adapter to allow the older S10/Blazer/Silverado flat style 02 sensor to the square 2002+ sensor plugs.

See the picture above for better understanding of what I had to do to retro fit them.

The older S10/Blazer/Silverado flat style FRONT 02 senor carry the same part number.

I got the rear 02 Sensor of a 1998 Chevy Tahoe which is actually square style 02 sensor. It does plug into my existing 02 sensor outlet for after the converter, but I had to cut off the plastic key inside to make it a better fit. You will have a better understanding once you have that sensor in your hand.

Now this is the most important part.

I can go on and on but the best way to do this compare the 02 sensor set up on the 2002 chevy express van wiring diagram to the 2003 Chevy blazer wiring diagram.

Remember there are four wires in a 02 sensor itself.

Luckly two of those wires from the 02 sensors itself to the pcm pin outs are the same between the 2002 chevy express diagram and 2003 Chevy blazer diagram.

HOWEVER....like OP in the link in "how to swap a Vortec 350.." the older S10/Blazer/Silverado one of the wires on the 02 sensor use case grounding and other wire is positive 12v ignition on.

Grounds: For the 2003 Blazer PCM connector, you have to remove three (one from each 02 sensor) wires from the pin outs at the PCM and splice them all together with a tail on to a good ground.

12V Hot: For the 2003 Blazer PCM connector, you have to remove one (I think it was one, I can't remember now) wire from the pin outs at the PCM and use a 3M blue splice connector onto the existing wire pinout at the PCM.

6) Gen. F Code

Simply take the existing wire from the 2003 Blazer PCM connector that’s says “Gen F” and put it into the proper PCM pin out according to the 2002 Chevy Express diagram.

Again I apologize if I didn't provide the exact pin out numbers or engine code number. If its a concern feel free to contact me a [email protected], I can take the time to look back at my files.

Any questions regarding to this swap, feel free to contact me at [email protected] I understand this is an older swap and Im probably one of the few left to do it, but I do know how frustrating it is to try to get in contact with somebody who did this swap already. Which explains why I sign up/posted here.

·
Been there Done it
8,222 Posts
The Vortec 5.7 may be an older style swap than the LS swap. But I think there will continue to be guys looking for an easier and less expensive way to get more performance than the 4.3 offers. Done right they look almost factory.
We have guys on here still wanting to do 283 4 barrel carb swaps. And a few doing the 4.3 tbi to 5.7 tbi, which I think the easiest swap of all. If I was to do one of those these days I'd use the Vortec 5.7 and a carb intake with a TBI adapter plate and slightly bigger 60 or 65 pph injectors with a 9C1 prom. Lot more performance than the old truck tbi motors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts