S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what's going on. 136K miles, new starter, new alternator, new battery. Lights dim as expected when trying to turn over the engine, 12V on the meter when the key is 'on' and lowers to 9 when I go to turn over the engine. It doesn't slam down, just lowers and goes right back to 12V. When I go to turn over the engine, the main pulley moves about an inch. Cable connections are clean as far as I can tell. This issue seems to be somewhere between 'it won't turn over' and 'it turns over but doesn't start'.

I can use the help, as without this truck I don't earn an income.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what the dash meter is showing with 3 different batteries hooked up to the cables, and a charger. My neighbors cummins was showing 14v, but the symptomolgy was the same- it wouldn't turn over. My ham radio typically shows 11.9-12.1v on startup which is the case as well. If that (low voltgage) is the problem, then what would cause a low voltage issue aside from the battery? I am really scratching my head over this one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I should have said that we DID test using a separate meter at the beginning of the thread, and they match the meter. And yes, there is a possibility the new starter could be bad. (That was replaced after the issue reared its demonic head). However, all of the symptoms are the same with the old starter and the new starter. I am in upstate NY, where the only place saltier than our winter roads is that place where they mine Himalayan salt. So I am wondering if this issue could be caused by a fault in the positive or negative cable? There wasn't anything obvious at the terminals, they looked clean. But that doesn't mean there ain't something beneath the insulation.

·
Registered
208 Posts
absolutely , I just got done replacing all kinds of cables and smaller wire on my 02 blazer. Mine had a big fuse under the battery tray and all the wire and connections were a mess. The ground to the driver fender mounted fuse panel was shot pretty much all the way from the rad support to the box,and when I replaced it got rid of some glitches I was having in the gauges and light flickering. you have the grounds on the back of the heads that will cause all sorts of interesting issues. Im not sure if a s10 pu is exactly the same but thats a start.Forgot to mention that the PO had replaced the alt thinking it was the problem and I was pretty sure the battery was shot-wrong

·
time to get cereal
2,448 Posts
Should be 12.6 VDC when engine is not running. Sounds like you have excessive voltage drop somewhere. Are your battery cables tight?

·
Been there Done it
7,820 Posts
Besides checking and/or replacing all the battery and starter cables and cleaning all the connections there is one other remote possibility. Some thing could be wrong inside the engine like spun bearings. Or you could have the wrong starter or it's not installed correctly and is binding.
Sure the new starter is the correct one and installed correctly? Got a brand and part number off the box?
If it's a 5 speed have you check to see that the clutch is releasing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Besides checking and/or replacing all the battery and starter cables and cleaning all the connections there is one other remote possibility. Some thing could be wrong inside the engine like spun bearings. Or you could have the wrong starter or it's not installed correctly and is binding.
Sure the new starter is the correct one and installed correctly? Got a brand and part number off the box?
If it's a 5 speed have you check to see that the clutch is releasing?
Checked the starter, it is the correct model for the truck. It is an automatic. I finally was able to get a code reader on it, and it is throwing (no check engine line on though):

P0171 Too Lean
P0300 Random/Multi Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit
P0327 Knock Combustion Vibration Sensor 1 Circuit Low Bank 1
U1064 Lost Communications with Multiple Control Systems

So I'm wondering if you are on to something oldeerslater

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
855 Posts
1- drop starter - using good battery and jumper cables "bump" test the starter- if it spins- its good- if not get it swapped. if good- ohm out your positive cable to the starter- then check ALL five main grounds- Batt to block,Batt to rad support,Batt to frame, rear of head to firewall, and rear of other head to ECM. IF NOT CONFIDENT in testing starter- take it back and have it tested.

·
Been there Done it
7,820 Posts
Checked the starter, it is the correct model for the truck. It is an automatic. I finally was able to get a code reader on it, and it is throwing (no check engine line on though):

P0171 Too Lean

So I'm wondering if you are on to something oldeerslayer
Don't see anything in those codes that would indicate it not being able to turn over. But they do display a pattern of issues that makes me question the engines condition.
Have you tried turning the engine with a bar and socket on the crank pulley nut. With the plugs in it should turn slowly but not display any hard spots except when each piston is at TDC. If you pull the plugs it should turn relatively easily. I find it easier with the engine in the truck to do it from below.

·
Gun Totin Redneck
1,158 Posts
I would pop off the belt see if it makes any difference in how it reacts to the starter. I have seen quite a few pulleys, alternates and ac compressors go bad that all but locked up the motor. Very difficult to tell with the tensioner on serp belt systems these days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What made you start this whole process? Did the engine overheat?
Does the starter make a strong engaging sound? Does the thick positive cable going to the starter get warm during this process?
This motor could be hydrolocked. Head gasket leak of coolant into cylinder(s).
Yes try it with serpentine removed - Next, pull the spark plugs and turn over...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whelp the engine is seized. Metal chunks in the oil pan.

·
Registered
1 Posts

P0171 Too Lean

So I'm wondering if you are on to something oldeerslater
Check the starter shims i had a similar problem

1 - 18 of 18 Posts