S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped out the spider tonight. Before everything was hooked up just the fuel lines I turned key on and pressurized system. Pressure still leaks down fast :(

Any chance that once everything is energized it might hold pressure??? Do the injectors need to be cycled with pulses to close them when new???

They did replace pump under warrenty before I have a bad feeling something got stuffed back in tank incorrectly and chaffed thru.

When I pulled upper intake I did have a very clean spot back by rear of spider still grey colored. Rest of inside of intake floor was slightly brown.

I am open to ideas........I will finish in morning as it started to poor rain right after that first key on cycle

·
Registered
182 Posts
you should check your battery!! when i had problems with mine on my 2001 jimmy i just change the battery and it was fine and all the shop around where i live where telling me my spider injecters were going out and wanted $1200 to fix it

·
2,679 Posts
Did you replace the Fuel pressure regulator also?
Which side was the fuel washing on?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you replace the Fuel pressure regulator also?
Which side was the fuel washing on?
Spider came complete with a regulator....buttoned it up this morning...my chinese gauge set has 55PSI at idle and pressure bleeds off quick on key off.

Pressure did build faster than with old spider and poppet injectors.

The washed spot was on passenger side very near to the regulator.

Pump was replaced under warrenty before is there a hose on pump output that could have been reinstalled incorrectly and chaffed and leaking?? Not sure whats the best way to attack pump replacement on a crew cab the bung in tank is not under the bed but under cab so pulling the bed does not look like it would help.......I hate dropping tanks :(

·
2,679 Posts
I see now that you have 2 threads running. Now it makes more sense.
From you description, it sounds like the FPR was leaking. Take a look and see if the new one is leaking.

Did you purge the air out of the new system?
Try letting some fuel pressure out of the shrader valve where the gauge is connected, then run through a couple more tests.

The pump is working but pressure drops once the pump is turned off. That usually points to 3 possibilities:
Weak FPR
Spider or poppets leaking
Fuel pump check valve isn't closing propperly.

Sinse you have the cover open, cycle the key several times and look for fuel leaks. You might get lucky and find the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see now that you have 2 threads running. Now it makes more sense.
From you description, it sounds like the FPR was leaking. Take a look and see if the new one is leaking.

Did you purge the air out of the new system?
Try letting some fuel pressure out of the shrader valve where the gauge is connected, then run through a couple more tests.

The pump is working but pressure drops once the pump is turned off. That usually points to 3 possibilities:
Weak FPR
Spider or poppets leaking
Fuel pump check valve isn't closing propperly.

Sinse you have the cover open, cycle the key several times and look for fuel leaks. You might get lucky and find the problem.
Spider is new style not poppet style new assembly from GM parts direct.

I have let some fuel run out via an extra gauge hose with no gauge attached....no change afterward.

Looked inside with a mirror and see no wetness in intake :(

which leaves me at ......Yuch I do not wanna think about it

so what is a good pump brand??

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
Spider is new style not poppet style new assembly from GM parts direct.

I have let some fuel run out via an extra gauge hose with no gauge attached....no change afterward.

Looked inside with a mirror and see no wetness in intake :(

which leaves me at ......Yuch I do not wanna think about it

so what is a good pump brand??
Avoid Airtex brand at AutoZone. Click here for good prices on GM pumps. You'll have to get a part # from Rock Auto or Delco.com. Rock Auto has Standard Motor Prod. which is a good brand, but I've not heard much about their FPs.

There is an accordion style hose on the discharge of the pump inside of the tank. Another member had problems with a pinhole leak in that hose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Avoid Airtex brand at AutoZone. Click here for good prices on GM pumps. You'll have to get a part # from Rock Auto or Delco.com. Rock Auto has Standard Motor Prod. which is a good brand, but I've not heard much about their FPs.

There is an accordion style hose on the discharge of the pump inside of the tank. Another member had problems with a pinhole leak in that hose.
Thanks Yogi

Any source for those accordian hoses????

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
Thanks Yogi

Any source for those accordian hoses????
IDK where to get the accordion hose. Some have used 3/8" fuel hose but I don't know how well that will last while submerged in gasoline. If you buy a complete fuel pump module, the new hose comes with it, of course.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 2002 S10 crewcab 4.3L Fuel injection upgrade..new information on fuel pressure

IDK where to get the accordion hose. Some have used 3/8" fuel hose but I don't know how well that will last while submerged in gasoline. If you buy a complete fuel pump module, the new hose comes with it, of course.
OK well I deadhead the output of the fuel filter into my gauge set.

Pump on 2 seconds 76 psi.....pump off pressure bleeds to 15 psi in about 4 seconds....then about a full minute to get to zero PSI

Compared pressures at fuel rail to GM service manual pressures are good.....turns pump on for specified time into graduated container volume exceeds service manual.

After those checks GM service manual says to replace pump if pressure leaks down.

Bad news is its a crew cab pulling the bed will not help tank bung under cab :(

I am thinking that accordian hose is leaking.

Does anybody know if there is a check valve on pump that can be serviced? I hate to tear truck down find its not the hose and then either pay NAPA $370 for a Delphi FG0070 module or the dealership I mean STEALERSHIP $660 for the Delphi FG0070 or wait for shipping and get the FG0070 from online for $256 plus shipping from

http://store.getgmparts.com/fg0070.html

http://go.delphi.com/CS/DPSS/CATALOG/ProductInformation.aspx?PartProductID=FG0248&PartNumber=FG0248

Hows the reputation on the Walbro 255 conversion?

I am almost tempted to try a Ebay cheapie rebuild ser for pump at about 60 bucks

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
Re: 2002 S10 crewcab 4.3L Fuel injection upgrade..new information on fuel pressure

OK well I deadhead the output of the fuel filter into my gauge set.

Pump on 2 seconds 76 psi.....pump off pressure bleeds to 15 psi in about 4 seconds....then about a full minute to get to zero PSI

Compared pressures at fuel rail to GM service manual pressures are good.....turns pump on for specified time into graduated container volume exceeds service manual.

After those checks GM service manual says to replace pump if pressure leaks down.

Bad news is its a crew cab pulling the bed will not help tank bung under cab :(

I am thinking that accordian hose is leaking.

Does anybody know if there is a check valve on pump that can be serviced? I hate to tear truck down find its not the hose and then either pay NAPA $370 for a Delphi FG0070 module or the dealership I mean STEALERSHIP $660 for the Delphi FG0070 or wait for shipping and get the FG0070 from online for $256 plus shipping from

http://store.getgmparts.com/fg0070.html

http://go.delphi.com/CS/DPSS/CATALOG/ProductInformation.aspx?PartProductID=FG0248&PartNumber=FG0248

Hows the reputation on the Walbro 255 conversion?

I am almost tempted to try a Ebay cheapie rebuild ser for pump at about 60 bucks
I don't know about the conversion but Walbro pumps have a good rep.

·
2,679 Posts
I've never had to try this, but you may be able to put a check valve at the other end of the fuel filter and it may make it fairly driveable. The check valve at the pump will only leak back when the pump no longer has +12 volts (not running - engine not running).

I'd try it before going through all that hassle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts