S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
I'll take one w/ a 4.2L DOHC inline 6 with 4 valves per cylinder. I've heard about this engine.. 275hp w/ a 6. Lighter than the 8 w. same or close to the same hp.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
I researched the inline 6 motor a little more.. I'm really excited about it... Aluminum Heads and cast aluminum block....

"After a 20-year hiatus, GM in North America returns an inline six-cylinder engine to the market via the 2002 Bravada. The 4.2-L, dual overhead camshafts (DOHC), four-valves-per-cylinder engine will exceed 187 kW (250 hp) and have more than 339 N•m (250 lb•ft) of torque. It replaces a 149-kW (200-hp) 4.3-L V6. "It's a very, very significant engine having the power of a V8," said Muniga.

Preliminary numbers show that the engine will deliver 90% of its torque in the 1200 to 5600 rpm range; with a torque peak expected at about 3200 rpm. Redline is 6300 rpm, according to Ron Kociba, Vortec 4200 Chief Engineer. "No matter what speed you're at, if you hit the accelerator, it's going to feel more responsive. It doesn't give you that run-out feel," Kociba said.

The Vortec 4200 becomes the first engine for GM North America to use variable valve timing, also referred to as cam phasing. "There is no external hang-on exhaust emissions device," Kociba said, noting there is no air-injection reaction or exhaust-gas-recirculation system. Residual gas is handled by cam phasing that alters exhaust valve timing within a range of 25 camshaft degrees as engine operating conditions change.

The engine has a 10:1 compression ratio. Its cast aluminum block and aluminum cylinder head are via a lost-foam process pioneered by GM in 1987. Overhead camshafts feature roller finger followers. The valve system uses stationary hydraulic lash adjusters to reduce friction and eliminate periodic valvetrain maintenance. "

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that 6 does sound nice!

so, where does find-out when this will be available? a couple chevy dealers didn't know - and as a matter of fact the picture (from the link i provided earlier) was new to them! i certainly hope by next year...

probably like many of you, i have a gm card with earings that expire in about 16 months. i'm hoping this will be an option for me to cosider with the venerable silverado or sierra and even, possibly the new ssr (http://www.ssrrs.com/). take care.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
I researched the inline 6 motor a little more.. I'm really excited about it... Aluminum Heads and cast aluminum block....

"After a 20-year hiatus, GM in North America returns an inline six-cylinder engine to the market via the 2002 Bravada. The 4.2-L, dual overhead camshafts (DOHC), four-valves-per-cylinder engine will exceed 187 kW (250 hp) and have more than 339 N•m (250 lb•ft) of torque. It replaces a 149-kW (200-hp) 4.3-L V6. "It's a very, very significant engine having the power of a V8," said Muniga.

Preliminary numbers show that the engine will deliver 90% of its torque in the 1200 to 5600 rpm range; with a torque peak expected at about 3200 rpm. Redline is 6300 rpm, according to Ron Kociba, Vortec 4200 Chief Engineer. "No matter what speed you're at, if you hit the accelerator, it's going to feel more responsive. It doesn't give you that run-out feel," Kociba said.

The Vortec 4200 becomes the first engine for GM North America to use variable valve timing, also referred to as cam phasing. "There is no external hang-on exhaust emissions device," Kociba said, noting there is no air-injection reaction or exhaust-gas-recirculation system. Residual gas is handled by cam phasing that alters exhaust valve timing within a range of 25 camshaft degrees as engine operating conditions change.

The engine has a 10:1 compression ratio. Its cast aluminum block and aluminum cylinder head are via a lost-foam process pioneered by GM in 1987. Overhead camshafts feature roller finger followers. The valve system uses stationary hydraulic lash adjusters to reduce friction and eliminate periodic valvetrain maintenance. "

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
abarberi said:
Hi folks,

Pickup.com says that this will be the S 10 for next year. [/url]
Sorry, not to burst your bubble, but we won't be seeing the next gen S-10 until late 2002-2003 (it's a 2003 model)

The styling is not that of the avalanche but rather that of the trailblazer, which has replaced the blazer as the mid-size suv in chevy's SUV lineup.

V8? Hardly. The V8 motor is a nasty rumor. The I-6s that are in t.blazers and that will be in the next gen s-10 are quite powerful despite being put down from folks who haven't driven these vehicles. Yes, the newer truck will larger, thus being heavier, but I'm sure that the i-6 will be a strong contender.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Re: 2002 S 10 w/ Siverado 8?

Southern said:

The I-6s that are in t.blazers and that will be in the next gen s-10 are quite powerful despite being put down from folks who haven't driven these vehicles.
I have driven quite a few of these trucks working at a Chevy/Olds dealer.
IMO the new I-6 is overrated. They are saying it has more power than the LT1's. You certainly can't tell by driving it.
Not unless it's above 4,000 RPM!! No low end power at all.

It may look good on paper but I wasn't impressed with any of them. Needs a turbo...

I'd like to see the V8 instead.

Sorry I just can't agree with that,
That sounds like a "Chief Engineer" selling something.

Engineers drive trains right? :bah:

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
Ok, so youve driven a trailblzer which weighs in at over 4400 lbs. Current s-10's w. ext cab weigh 3198lbs, thats over a half a ton less.. Sure the gen3 S10 w/ this engine is going to weigh more than current but they are not going to weigh 1/2 a ton more than they do now.. I'd have to guess for performance/mileage the I-6 would be the way to go. I'll take 260 hp over 180hp for the same displacement anyday.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well don't get me wrong, this engine could be great with mods in the future. {turbo(s)}
I guess my point is that I personally doubt their HP/TQ numbers and the powerband being that low. There's a lot of hype about this new engine right now because it's new. I'd believe more in the area of 200-210HP and above 4000 rpm at the lowest peak.

What I'm basing my opinion on is my experience, This new I-6 claims to have more HP/TQ than a '96 Caprice with an LT1. I've driven probably close to 100 "B" bodies with police trim, and they will do circles around a '02 Trailblazer or Bravada. They probably weigh as much or more, so I don't understand where all this power is. I'm not knocking the product, I like the styling, but I just have trouble with the numbers they are claiming.

One other thing, What about a Typhoon? they had 280 HP, and weigh quite a bit, I've never had the pleasure of driving one but they will kick this I-6 all over the place right?

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
The Ty/Cy's are a turbo setup. I'm not really comparing the I-6 to the V-8.. Just glad to see somthing w/ DOHC, besides its nice to see some attention paid to the I-6. The light weight (Alum. block/heads) would definetly be an improvement w/o more HP and to get almost 200hp at the rear would be good enough for me... for a little while anyways. VT/DOHC would definetly be a major reason why it seems slower on the bottom end Ive driven SOHC 4 bangers, and DOHC 4 bangers and DOHC is what makes the thing comes alive, above 4,000rpm or so.

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
I've heard that the computer won't let you romp on it off the line. I guess to reduce tire spin or improve rid comfort or something..

I have no idea if its true.. just what I heard.:confused:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The I-6 is not really a good idea for our trucks. When GM finally decides the s-series deserves it, it will completely go through a restyling phase. The configureation of the I-6 will require way to many mods to fit our trucks vs. the V-8's. Its not that it cant be done, but expense wise its not a very good idea when V-8's are easily adapted vs. these. Testing is already being done on some prototypes 2004's with the inline 6 and there kinda ugly. Delphi Automotive testing and R&D center here has been doing testing and a friend of mine who lives near the labs has seen what he thinks is the new S-10. We see alot of new style concepts around here on the roads being tested by engineers taking them home and trying them out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The reason the I-6 is not as fast as you would think by the HP is because Horspower sells cars, But Torque is what makes them fast! Look at the torque specs on the inline 6(stinky) that is why there is no bottom end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
True Spyder, *no harsh feelings?*

Torque is the 0-60 factor. Thats why my 180 hp Sonoma could blow the snot out of an s2000 in 0-40 or so but after 60 i would be smelling high reving s2000 exhaust fumes. The s2000 has no torque whatsoever, but is a high reving mofo. It perfoms best in the 6,000-8,000 rpm range.

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
Spyder said:
The reason the I-6 is not as fast as you would think by the HP is because Horspower sells cars, But Torque is what makes them fast! Look at the torque specs on the inline 6(stinky) that is why there is no bottom end.
TrailBlazer generates 270 hp at 6000 rpm and 275 lb.-ft. of torque at 3600 rpm. In fact, 90 percent of the torque is available from 1600 rpm to 5600 rpm. TrailBlazer estimated MPG 16 city, 22 highway (2WD) and 15 city, 21 highway (4x4)

I think that 275hp is pretty good for a stock motor from GM. With a little work that I-6 can probably pull about 400lbs of torque, you know, do a little massaging. It's only about 10 more than the 4.3, so it is a little disapointing.

The bottom end is there. There's a just a little more weight this time around.

I'm in the progress of building up a 1954 235ci straight six for a 1950 Chevy truck. Now that thing will have some ballz. Estimating about 225hp and about 250-275lbs of torque....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have some pics of the 4.2 engine here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts