S-10 Forum banner

2002 gas tank leak?

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Rhotpursuit 
#1 ·
Hi, anytime I fill gas tank more than 1/2 way, I see/smell fuel dripping to the ground. Was told
truck has a plastic fuel tank. Is fuel pump on top of tank? Is this a common issue?
Thanks for any help,
Joe D

#6 ·
Before you go pulling the bed or the tank... check to make sure the hose clamp on the filler neck is tight. Maybe somebody dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump and they forgot to tighten that hose clamp... it happens.

It was so the bolt didn't pierce the tank in a side collision.
I just learned something... thanks!

#10 ·
but more than hallway, so anytime its a half tank or more, it drips?

then its not the o-ring or filler hose clamp. when you put 3/4 tank, it still drips? and it drips till the tank is below half, or only for a bit? if only for a bit, then the o-ring/hose clamp could for sure be the trouble but if it stays till the tank goes below a certain mark, then its something else

#13 ·
I've seen on plastic tanks where people have over tightened to filler neck hose clamp and actually crack the plastic on the tank. Or, as 67truckin mentioned, might be a leak at the seam if its a steel tank.

#16 ·
I guess I'll have to build some steady sawhorses to hold the bed when pulled off. I agree it's the best way to investigate.
If I took truck to a shop, it would cost a S#$%load of money.
I'll have to monitor what actually happens when/how much gas I put in tank for now, to see if that reveals anything.
Thanks,
Joe D

#19 ·
I used to have a bmw that leaked if I filled it all the way up. it was a huge pain to drop the tank to investigate where the leak was so being mr pro-crastinator, I just never filled it up all the way or parked near bon fires/bbqs. not the right way to fix it but I didn't have the car to long anyways as one of the local college kids wanted it for auto-crossing so I told him everything I knew was wrong, gas leak included and he took her away for 600 bucks to make a solo2 car out of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.