S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to get a 180 degree thermostat for my 2002 4.3 at the local parts house with no luck. Can someone give me a Stant , other recognizable brand number or a crossover for this thermostat

·
Registered
118 Posts
does it have a difference in a cheap thermostat and one of performance company ??

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
i got a robert shaw pn 400-180 from discount auto

·
I da numba wun tunda!
406 Posts
anyone know of part numbers for Checkers or Napa? we dont have Auto Zone or anything else

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called Hypertech this morning about a 180° Thermostat for my 2002 Sonoma. Powerstat part #1027. You can purchase them from jegs, but its a new item so it has to be special ordered. I'm sure as soon as one person orders one they will stock them. Should be around $22. I hope that helps.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
V6MaroFL said:
Cheap one might throw a check engine light. You have a HPP3, you'd probably benefit from paying a few extra bucks to get a Hypertech.
:blaugh:

How would a thermostat throw a SES light? The only thing that the performance one might benefit is fail safe. Meaning if it dies, it dies open not closed. But almost all stants and other brands have that.

With the hypertech your paying for the name. Thats about it. A local checker store around here sells 160 thermos for a trucks for around 6 bucks I think. $20+ for a stat is a joke.

·
99 Xtreme Reg Cab
20 Posts
Did anyone have problems with gas mileage after installing the 160 deg stat? I heard that it keeps you truck in a cold start mode like a chock on a carb. Would the 180 be better for your truck?

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
170 or 180* is good enough and all Hypertech does i hear is buys Robert Shaw stats n puts their name on em

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Will gas mileage still suck with the 180* stat, compared to the stock 195*? I heard the same thing about the 160* stat, that the engine remains in cold start mode because the temp is too low. How much of a performance gain is expected with changing to a 180*? Is there an option in the HPP3 for a 180*? I have one, and forgot if it asks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a 170degree tonight, Its an autozone brand but i will let ya know the results (if any). Part # 467-170 3407 $7.99

·
Make Way for the Bad Guy
821 Posts
96s10 said:
:blaugh:

How would a thermostat throw a SES light? The only thing that the performance one might benefit is fail safe. Meaning if it dies, it dies open not closed. But almost all stants and other brands have that.

With the hypertech your paying for the name. Thats about it. A local checker store around here sells 160 thermos for a trucks for around 6 bucks I think. $20+ for a stat is a joke.

:lol:
I was thinking of a 160 stat that could possibly throw a code. Read the letter this person got from Hypertech. Actually, its quite common on 2000+. Some people run an 18 ohm resistor in place of their IAT to solve this problem.

I was mainly recommending to buy a Hypertech stat because they already had a HPP3. Besides I don't know where you guys are shopping paying 20 bucks for a Hypertech. Mine was 8.99 from CarQuest.

·
Make Way for the Bad Guy
821 Posts
obrien said:
yes gas milage sucks with a 160. I used one in my truck for about a day, just enough to go to the track, and I changed it back to the stock stat. I couldn't find a 180 which is what I really wanted
You drove one day, what for a couple hours, and determined a 160 stat was causing bad gas mileage???? Ever think that the gas mileage was no good because you were racing? Thermostats shouldn't affect fuel economy unless its an extreme high or low temp. Here in FL, you should get better fuel economy with a 160, in Alaska that may not be the case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts