S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 S-10, 2.2 with a 5speed manual. It has 280,000 miles on it so I'm starting to think about a swap. What are my options ? I'd like to have a 6 cyl but which ones will fit and bolt to the 5 speed. Where can I find this info? Thanks Jamie

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
It would be a lot less trouble and less expensive to buy another truck.
Swaps from 2.2 to anything, especially on one as "new" as an 01 aren't inexpensive.
Most cars by then were FWD so those engines are out and trucks didn't use anything that will bolt up to the 60° bolt pattern trans.

Reactions: ala_frosty

·
Registered
276 Posts
There isn't really a bolt-in option, but there's a few engines that could fit the trans.
You'll likely need to do some fabricating for engine mounts and the like.
One thing to consider is keeping emissions intact, if you don't have testing that's a plus, but if you plan to sell in the future it could be a negative.

The LS4 5.3L V8 used in the Grand Prix GXP or Impala SS. It's a 90 degree V8 with a 60 degree bolt pattern. Manifolds from a truck can be used to make the engine work in a RWD application. It'll likely blow the trans and diff from what I've read online. I'm not sure about what flywheel or clutches would work in this setup either.

The 3800 V6 used in damn near every GM vehicle from this era. I personally plan to swap one of these into my s10 after current projects finish up. It's a 90 degree V6 with the 60 degree bellhousing bolt pattern just like the LS4. It was used in the Chevy Camaro so it's got RWD exhaust and intake manifolds, and it came in manual in the Camaro, so the flywheel and clutch looks like it'll fit, same spline count and only a slightly larger disc than the 2.2
I hope to find a Camaro donor when I do my swap. The trans may be on borrowed time after that, but only one way to find out IMO.

The Isuzu 3.2 and 3.5 v6 will fit that pattern and was also used in RWD applications. Those just used a different clutch setup so you'll need a different flywheel and clutch assembly. Oddly enough a Camaro clutch can work.

There's also the 3.4 V6 GM used in a lot of their SUVs, I just don't know what's available for RWD manifolds. I know older Camaros had the 3.4 as well, but I think they were all OBD1. Which is why it's a popular swap for the 1st gen S10's with the 2.8

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
The LS4 starter can be problematic since it bolts to the transverse transmissions bellhousing. I have a GP GXP with the LS4. The intake also points in the opposite direction. I also believe the 303HP would scatter that NV1500 trans. In the Grand Prixs and Impalas keeping the 4T65E-HD trans in one piece is difficult. I went with a built one from Triple Edge Performance. All in fluid (14 qts Dex6) and shipping and misc. came to about 3K.

Reactions: CruisinS10

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have a 2001 S-10, 2.2 … I'm starting to think about a swap
Stop thinking about swapping a 2.2L! Don't do it! These trucks are cheap. Buy one with a 4.3L and see whether that's enough power for you. If so, you're done. If not, then you can either pick up an LS for it, or get an NBS truck 5.7L from someone who's LS swapping that for super-cheap. The 4.3L's have 4L60E's in them that will bolt right up to either a 5.7L or an LSx LM7 or LR4.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,524 Posts
The 4.3L's have 4L60E's in them that will bolt right up to either a 5.7L or an LSx LM7 or LR4.
That's what we thought. While they do bolt up, you need to use this TC adapter. If you don't, there will be a vibration. We used the GM adapter for the swap. That was the source of the vibration. It was no easy task to drop the transmission to change it.

This is the correct adapter when using the dished 5.3 flex plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts