S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 S-10 4x4,which is mostly driven in town. Occasionally there is a low whirring coming from the back end. A few days ago we went a bit further (about 170 miles, and the whirring sound turned into a very prominent howling sound when on the gas, and went away when coasting. A bit later, the truck added a very prominent grinding sound when changing from driving to coasting.
The next day, after not having used the truck for 12 hours, it was back to normal. slight whirring sound.
The whirring and howling sounds change pitch slightly with speed, but not with gear change.
The kicker is that we had a similar howling a couple of years ago, and had the truck in the garage. They first tried to fix it by rebuilding the rear differential, but that didn't help, then they exchanged the differential with another one, which we thought helped a bit, but now I am thinking that it didn't.

Any idea what that could be?

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
The kicker is that we had a similar howling a couple of years ago, and had the truck in the garage. They first tried to fix it by rebuilding the rear differential, but that didn't help, then they exchanged the differential with another one, which we thought helped a bit, but now I am thinking that it didn't.
Sounds like whoever is doing your differential work needs some training in how to set them up correctly so that it doesn't howl.
Make it howl, then let off the gas. If howl quiets down it's usually internal.
Worn pinion bearing or mismatched used ring from one truck and pinion from another will howl.
When they changed the diff, did they just swap the ring gear and carrier?
Improper backlash will cause howling.

Reactions: Snowrompin4.3
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.