S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get to turn the key on all the lights come on all of them go off but service engine soon break battery abs and low fuel no security light won't crank no start you got lights everything radio works just won't crank any tips and it will possibly be grateful

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
567 Posts
Put it in neutral and try starting it, if it starts then you have a bad neutral safety switch. Does it click when you try starting it? Or does it just do nothing at all?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put it in neutral and try starting it, if it starts then you have a bad neutral safety switch. Does it click when you try starting it? Or does it just do nothing at all?
It's in neutral I don't do nothing just lights I have no clicking no nothing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's in neutral I don't do nothing just lights I have no clicking no nothing
I just pulled the motor steering column gauge cluster computer all that out of a 99 GMC Sonoma with the motor and put in this other truck and I'm not getting nothing separate lights

·
567 Posts
So, to clarify, the truck that won't start has just had the steering column, motor, gauges and a computer replaced with those from a different truck?

·
567 Posts
Which computer and why was it replaced? There is probably a VIN matching error between the engine and the body computers. The VIN numbers stored in each computer and if the VIN #s don't match, it's a no go. Put the original computer back in it and try starting it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which computer and why was it replaced? There is probably a VIN matching error between the engine and the body computers. The VIN numbers stored in each computer and if the VIN #s don't match, it's a no go. Put the original computer back in it and try starting it.
I bought the truck for $200 worth of title there's no computer the engine was blowed it was locked up so I took a running engine and computer fuse box and all that out of my other truck that was rusted into this truck what other body computers are there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the truck for $200 worth of title there's no computer the engine was blowed it was locked up so I took a running engine and computer fuse box and all that out of my other truck that was rusted into this truck what other body computers are there
With the title there was no computer and the engine was locked up

·
567 Posts
There is a body control module in the dash, passenger side. The powertrain control module under the hood, air bag module under the center console and abs module near the brake master cylinder. I can't remember if they started programming VINs into the computers yet in 2001, pretty sure they did though. If it's a VIN conflict it'll set a code, so if you can pull codes out of it check for a VIN conflict error code. Also, double check to make sure you got all your connectors plugged in and grounds are all clean and tight

·
567 Posts
I just dig a little checking online, it appears the 99 Sonoma and 2001 s10 use different control modules, as far as I can tell they aren't interchangeable. I'm not exactly sure what is different between them but looking at the GM part #s on GMpartsdirect.com (who mirrors the actual GM parts catalogs) and they don't appear to be interchangeable. If I had to venture a guess the pinouts are probably different, but if somebody else around here knows otherwise, please chime in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just dig a little checking online, it appears the 99 Sonoma and 2001 s10 use different control modules, as far as I can tell they aren't interchangeable. I'm not exactly sure what is different between them but looking at the GM part #s on GMpartsdirect.com (who mirrors the actual GM parts catalogs) and they don't appear to be interchangeable. If I had to venture a guess the pinouts are probably different, but if somebody else around here knows otherwise, please chime in.
10/4 thank u

1 - 14 of 14 Posts