S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aye i gotta 2001 Blazer 2wd (automati), so far i have intake n exhaust on order.... I'm looking to run a single fogger NX 75 or 100 (wet) shot, but i have no idea how much torque my stock trans can handle. n i know chevy isnt famous for its bottom end, but i'm hoping that i can run at least 75 with out having to do much more then retard the timing, non platum plugs, and 93 octane. Does anyone have this size of a shot on this engine? I need to know what other mods i'm gonna have to do to make it happen.
Please give comments, thanx guys

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
75 is about the upper limit that the stock internals will take with fairly regular use. You may push 100 but thats real tight. Platinum plugs are not the problem. Make sure you check plugs often and dropp down a heat range till you see a nice clean burn....Hope this helps....Also, why wet....go 70 shot dry into throttle body bonnet and have almost no worries....

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I though the rule was no more than 20hp/cyl? that would make a 100 shot perfectly safe...Thats what I plan on running...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Didn't Tony (SS on Nos) blow his engine? I think so. Anyways, he got it all taken care of and now his baby is running and looking sweet again.... especially with those tires.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya, i'm definatly going with a wet shot, since there way more effecient then the dry shot. i dont feel like loosing 25 hp for no reason. pluse dry shots are so dangerous, and their what make nitrous kits look so bad. i'm so pissed at my boy.... he has a focus that we made into a 2 seater, n he has a 75 shot that puts him at a 14.17!!! and he showed me the direct port kit that he's ordering (for his 125 upgrade) and it comes with injecters that spray fuel/nitrous already mixed into the cylinder. its so bad a$$.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't know of any wet shot kit other than custom for newer (98+) trucks. Can't remeber what year ya got....If ya can find one great. How do you lose 25 horse from a dry shot though...Isnt 70 horse 70 horse no matter how ya make it. dry system injects fuel also with Nos just does it on the way into the throttle body..not after....Good luck...Remember..Checkin plugs is half the battle...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok... well a dry shot shots the nitrous into the intake, and at the same time, its making more fuel go into the cylinder to match. its extremely not constant. where as a wet shot has the nitrous mixed with the fuel, and its much much safer, because u'r less likely to just spray nitrous, and have detonation with a wet shot then a dry shot. and as far as 70 meaning 70 hp, no thats not how it works. NOS, and Zex, etc... rate their hp gain as a wet shot, and as a bhp (crank hp gain). where as the only company that i've found that rates their hp gains as whp(wheel hp) is Nitrous Express. so a NX 70 shot puts 70 hp to the wheels, a NOS, Zex, etc... puts 55-60 hp to the wheels. unless its a dry shot, and the nitrous/fuel ratio is different every time you spray, you loose even more power. maybe not 25hp, but a good precentage. very noticable, as well as unsafe. so i'm gonna go ahead and pay the extra 100 dollars for the wet kit, so a year from now i dont have to pay 5G's when i shoot a valve out my hood from detionation.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o ya, and Nos doesnt mean nitrous, N20 mean nitrous. NOS is just a brand name.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
OK, you seem well informed. See When I first started racing NOS was the only company making Nitrous systems so the term kinda sticks. Thats about the only thing the ricers actually got from us. As far as the dry versus wet, even a dry system injects additional fuel into the intake path. Its called dry because of lits introduction location, not its makeup. Actually a dry system is usually more tolerant of beginner tuning mistakes. If you have the money for a custom setup go for it. Oh one more thing. A manufacturer cannot rate Hp gains as rear wheel horsepower as each drivetrain has its own inherent individual losses. A manual car suffers from less loss than an automatic does. Anybody tellin you that one Nitrous system is RWhp and another isnt is blowing smoke somewhere. Dont be mad not tryin to argue..just help:thumbup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
o its kewl, i like the critism.... well my boy has a focus, and he ordered a NX 75 shot, well he put the 50 jets on to get the hang of it, and it was crazy, so he went n had it dynoed..... 56whp!!
i was extremly impressed. and i've seen many dyno's on automatics, sticks, front/rear wheel drivetrians. and i've never seen an NX kit dyno one whp less then the actual claim. and also, if you look into any nitrous kit, there is no stamped gaurenteed hp gain, and it says right on them different cars and drivetrains gain different hp, and the givin number is just an average.
there's a web page with 2 dynos for 3 different cars, using a NOS 100 shot, and a NX100 shot. it was a camaro, a focus, and i dont remember the other car, but the camero dynoed the highest of the 3 cars with the NOS kit with 81whp- which roughly is 100bhp.
and the camero dynoed 103whp on the NX kit. the focus and the other car had similar numbers but those are the only ones i remember for sure. I'm gonna look for that page, and i'll post it when i find it.
o, and no offense on the NOS crack... my boy (civic owner) says NAAWWWWS all the time and its force of habbit.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Not arguing numbers..Just saying that a rating is the same for dry vs wet systems. Good Luck with it....Oh and one more thing...Its Nos..Like Nostradamus..NOT NAAAAWWWWWS..lol. Let me know what kit your looking at.. Am curious now...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol, thats funny cuz u still got it wrong..........
its not naws, or nos like nostradamus, its N. O. S.
like an oh ese
lol
alright, now i'm sure that you know how nitrous works, but a dry shot tricks the computer into sending more fuel to match the nitrous thats being sprayed into the intake........ now if a fuel injector is cloged, or just running slow, or the fuel pump isn't giving enough pressure to give exactly enough fuel to match the nitrous, you get detonation. to run a safe dry shot, u have to replace everything from the fuel pump, fuel lines to injectors. and even then, u hope for the best.
Where as with a wet shot, the nitrous is already mixed with fuel, so regardless if your injectors are cloged, or running slowly, u wont get detonation. because the nitrous already has all the fuel it needs to be safe to u'r engine. this also makes the nitrous alot more eficent, because if you are running a dry shot, and you dont replace all your injectors, pump and lines, u'r making the stock stuff run overtime. so even if u'r injectors are clean, there not gonna run perfect when u'r making them go double time. so u'r injectors are gonna spray more and less fuel (not by much) but its enough to make the nitrous/fuel mixture a varble instead of a constant. and that will effect your hp gain.
thats y to run shots like 125hp, and 200hp and up, direct port injection is used. and if you look at this graph... http://www.nosnitrous.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/dryvswet.html
u'll see that direct port is just a more defined wet shot. because when u get into that much nitrous, you have to have extremly high efficency, cuz a lil extra nitrous on a 50 shot, u might get away with for a while, but not on a 250 shot.
i hope that makes sense....

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Um I geuss but if you know all these things why ask how much you can run lol..Again, A dry shot is injected before the throttle body. They still use additional fuel provided by a fuel nozzle in the jet setup. But with the info you have I think its time I gave up. One question you havent answered though..Is it a custom setup your running or is there a Complete kit available becuase as far as I know, noone makes a plate kit for the 4.3 TBI...

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
nothin bad between us jas..freindly banter....Thanks for the info though...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the main reason i posted about it is because i just wanna be 110% sure that i'm not gonna F nothin up. i think i'm just gonna end up puttin 50 jets on until someone says, o ya i got a 75 shot on mine and it works fine... then i'll swap the jets out. cuz being fast isnt' worth that much money.
aye 02redxblaze, do you have a 1/4 mile time?
and i'm kinda curious how u ported n polished u'r MAF, and if it made a difference?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts