S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Xtreme 4.3L extended cab fleetside. I'm shopping for bolt-ons (notably a K&N GenII Air Intake kit, Gibson exhaust and headers). They're listed as available for the 2000 4.3L S-10, but not the 2001. Are there any difference between the engines of 2000 and 2001?

·
the envy of the town
10 Posts
Trumpet-
Theres no difference between 00 and 01 engines, its just that the companies haven't updated thier websites in quite a while. Oh yah, and I'm with Rhino about the gibson exhaust. My buddy that installed my exhaust told me that gibson is actually a branch off of Magnaflow, and that they are a lot sh!ttier... So my advice is go with Magnaflow or something like Flowmaster. (oh yah, and keep it a single if you wanna save power, noise, and $$$!)

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
another way to get your exhaust a little cheaper is buy the muffler you want. i recomend flowmaster 40 series(just my opinion). then have a muffler shop build a cat back for you. i had one built for $80 complete + the muffler $60. its 2.5 single out sounds real good, i think. and jba makes good headers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exhaust volume?

Well, of course I want my Xtreme to sound powerful when I rev it in neutral for my friends. But, I don't want to stick out like a sour thumb in traffic if I have to hit the throttle. Like, if I try to run a yellow light and it goes red, with a cop at the opposite intersection (don't laugh, it's happened to me twice, without them even noticing) will I wake up half the neighborhood with my exhaust and scream "pull me over?"

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
i got mine put on the other day......i went with a 40 series with a single outlet.....but i wanted the apperance of duals.....the reasond i went with the single is that there is very lil space to run duals over the axle.....so what we did was use the muffler with the single outlet in place of the old one......the guy used the same pipe that is already there......when we got to the back where the stock runs out the corner, we just just cut it and put a "y" piece in there to split it up....then we ran em out the corners like 01ZQ8's truck below (hope ya don't mind).....i'll get some pics of it up asap......oh....i forgot to mention that the 40 series sound pretty damn good too

Attachments

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
sweetbutxtreme said:
i got mine put on the other day......i went with a 40 series with a single outlet.....but i wanted the apperance of duals.....the reasond i went with the single is that there is very lil space to run duals over the axle.....so what we did was use the muffler with the single outlet in place of the old one......the guy used the same pipe that is already there......when we got to the back where the stock runs out the corner, we just just cut it and put a "y" piece in there to split it up....then we ran em out the corners like 01ZQ8's truck below (hope ya don't mind).....i'll get some pics of it up asap......oh....i forgot to mention that the 40 series sound pretty damn good too

LMAO!!! Dude I was about to say Holy Sh!t!!! We have the same sticker!! :drinkhaha :drinkhaha

·
Registered
98 Posts
personally, iwould go with Ravin 33 class single in dual out...i ahd my sapre removed and ran dual pipes side exit where the stock one was....sounds way louder than my friends 92 rs camaro with true flowmaster duals....

·
99 s10 4.3 for sale
58 Posts
i'm runnin a flowmaster 40 series with a turndown right after the muffler...i really couldn't be happier with it. its got a nice deep tone and sounds really good when its opened up at higher rpm's... its not really loud, but it is quite noticable. i love pulling up next to some whiney rice motor...i can see the envy in their eyes :evilg:

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Nice and Mellow

I run the Gibson headers with a flowmaster muffler and a custom
built 3" single pipe. It runs great and sounds good.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
i keep reading about flowmaster 40 series in these forums, anyone ever try a borla? what has a deeper sound? im about to buy a muffler and get a pipe made or get the cat back from borla and install it myself... fairly easy to do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts