S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 s10 ls 4.3 v6 233c 4wd

I noticed fluid dripping from the case. I cannot for the life of me figure out what all gaskets I need. I want to replace anything I need to while I have it out. I see gasket sets here and there but I cant figure out which one I need. Can someone point me in the right direction to what all I should be replacing? I see people recommending the transmission seal and so on. First 4wd vehicle I've owned and I'm lost. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
1985 s10 4x4
41 Posts
A quick Google search yielded a ton of results. I'd personally buy one of the master rebuild kits from a reputable source. That way I had everything on hand once opened up. They're not that expensive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
...reaplce the seal that is leaking. look at it. is it the input? output? the gasket between the 2 halfs of the case?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant tell, everything is wet. A google search yields results for at least 30 different transfer cases along with multiple different looking sets and the gaskets all look different. On auto parts websites they have multiple different looking gaskets that claim to be the same things. That's why I'm asking. I see 233 and 233c, me knowing nothing of 4wd I have no idea if there is a difference or websites are lazy and didnt add the c.

I bumped the post because I'd like to order the parts prior to the weekend.

My main concern is I dont want to pull the transfer case and it be leaking from the trans and overflowing the case like I've read and not have all the gaskets/seals on hand that I'd need to fix the issue rather than having the truck down for days and or having to make multiple trips to the parts store with the truck up on the lift. I see those master rebuild kits but the 4wd works fine, I just want to fix the leaking fluid. So a gasket/seal kit is ideal and 1/3 the price of a master kit so I'd use the difference in price to buy the trans seals as well unless they come with the seal kit.

·
time to get cereal
3,214 Posts
Just so you know you can post multiple pictures in one post, and go back and edit you posts as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
...you have 2 options. buy a whole kit. if you want to replace everything it wont hurt anything but your wallet. option 2. degeaser/scrubbrush the oil off an look for where exactly its leaking from. you probably only need a tube of gasket maker. these transfercases only have a gasket on the trans side and a output seal for the driveshaft. the rest of it is sealed with gasket maker..
FEL-PRO 72769
SKF 19317
you can get these parts downtown an have it fixed this weekend.. form your photos. it appears to be leaking towards the end. so either bad rear output seal. or the silicone gasket maker is leaking..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would check these three places. see the 2 red lines i put. if oil is not seeping out there also check the rear driveshaft seal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Almost everything on these cases is sealed with RTV, (except for the tranny/t-case seal i believe). Get some rtv, acetone, towels, and a scraper knife.
Once you found where its leaking from (your pics indicate case halfs, middle piece that hold speedo sensor, or tail cone so ill assume those)

Take off read driveshaft, and start removing parts till you split the case. Scrape lff old rtv, acetone wipe them, reseal, assemble, and wait to refill (depends on what rtv you get). For anyone thats done this, you will know what i mean when I say “ have fun getting it back together with the pump still connected”. Hopefully OP has 3+ arms.
P.s. its really not an awful job. Methotical dissasembly so reassembly is easier).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts