S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
bentwrench
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at a 2000 s10 that needs an engine. i can get it for next to nothing, and would be keeping it long term.

it has one of the 4 cylinder engines, i don't know if it is the flex fuel truck or not.

it's going to be for my wife to drive for now, so the 4 cylinder's gotta stay for now.

everything i've found so far says that the engine is one year only, but i'm having a hard time believing that.

does anyone know for certain what year 4 cylinder engines fit what year trucks?

thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
A drop in exact fit is a 2000 only. I have the same truck and the same problem. Ended up buying a 2002 Cavalier motor and had to change EVERYTHING bolted to the block...but it fits and runs now! Major PITA....but I couldn't locate a 2000 engine anywhere for a fair price. Best deal I could find was a 203k engine for $800!!!! Can you say RIP OFF?!

·
bentwrench
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, i'm finding cavalier engines a lot easier than s10 engines.

if it's too much money for a lower mileage drop-in, i'll just rebuild the existing engine.

i live in cortland, ohio. whereabouts in ne ohio are you? this cavalier engine has me intrigued, and i would be very interested in seeing your finished product!

i don't have our truck home yet, but at least this will give me some ideas as to what i'm looking at!

thanks!

·
Registered Hoosier
4,784 Posts
The eighth digit of the VIN is the engine code. Code 5 is flex fuel. Code 4 is non-flex.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
1998 and engines can be used, the top end of the 2.2 was totally redesigned for this year

cylinder head are same design and even same castings shared between car and truck

between car and truck everything bolted to the head and block need swapped over, in order to replace one with the other,

the only thing same between car and truck other wise is the rocker cover and some minor other externally mounted parts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts