S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first post :)
well i have a 2000 s10 extreme and i want to change the stock deck with an aftermarket 1.
How do i get the stock deck out and where could i get the correct mounting kit so it looks right in the dash. the stock deck is so much bigger then the aftermarket ones.
Thanks in advance :D

·
"Da Dog"
1,090 Posts
You should be able to get a mounting kit anywhere that sells car stereos.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Dashkit
Wire Harness
Antenna Adapter

You need to pull the dash front off. To do this :

Remove the knee panel from under the steering wheel. Its (4) 7mm nut head screws. No need to remove panel entirely just pop it toward you after removing the screws.
To the left and right of the steering column where you just removed that panel are (2) 7mm nut head screws. Remove them.
Inside the recess of the cluster area is (1) 7mm nut head screw up top. Remove it.
Working carefully around the edges of that dash panel, pop it out toward you.
Reach behind and unplug the Headlamp switch plug, Fog switch plug (if applicable), AirBag switch plug or Hatch Release plug (SUVs) and 4wd switch plug (if applicable).
Tilt steering wheel down all the way and remove the panel. Watch out for the Hazard switch on the column.
Remove (2) 7mm nut head screws on DIN-Half model deck or (3) 7mm on Double-DIN models.
Remove deck, unplug harness and antenna cable.

Antenna adapter converts GM mini to std plug.
Wire harness (get a good brand like Metra or Scoshe) will have color-coded wires that match up to 99% aftermarket decks' harnesses. Cap off or tape off induvidually any unused wires. Most aftermarket decks will not use Illumination or Dimmer (usually Orange/Orange-Black on the adapter harness)
Install the aftermarket deck sleeve in the dash kit, plug it all in, install, check that its working OK and reinstall the dash componets in reverse order.

Good Luck and Rock Out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks alot. that is EXACTLY what i was looking for. ill give it a try in the next couple days.
(seems like alot more work then i thought) :) thanks alot

·
I AM CANADIAN
5,647 Posts
You will need to turn on the IGN and put the shifter to 1st gear if it's auto with no tilt to get the dash panel out

·
Registered
120 Posts
You will need to turn on the IGN and put the shifter to 1st gear if it's auto with no tilt to get the dash panel out
And be careful about the Hazard button, I broke mine clear off swapping my stereo once because I was in a hurry and tried to force the dash panel off. . . That was in my '96 though, I'm not sure if it's in the same place on '98+ trucks.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Good call tt85GM. I forgot about that lil tidbit.

Wonderbread, its not as hard as it seems. In fact as an installer its one of my favs to do.

06Camarodude, I had pointed that out but good call on emphasizing it. Ive seen many guys fu*k that up also. It used to be $100 for that hazard switch since its a part of the whole signal lever assembly.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i recently just purchased a 7 inch panasonic flip screen and i am curious as to whether or not any work needs to be done besides the deck sleeve and wiring harness to install it in my 95 s10. the reason i am asking is because it seems as if the screen when flipped up will hit the shifter column.

·
Work in Progress
405 Posts
And be careful about the Hazard button, I broke mine clear off swapping my stereo once because I was in a hurry and tried to force the dash panel off. . . That was in my '96 though, I'm not sure if it's in the same place on '98+ trucks.
atleast you didn't forget to take the main 2 screws under the handle of the door panel and rip it off anyways because you were in a hurry. now my damn doorpanel never stays on lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts