S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this S10 and it was working fine when I got it a week ago, but now the problems have started showing up.

Anyways, I have an intermittent no crank issue. The vehicle generally will start fine the first start of the day, but after driving it for a bit, if I turn it off it may, or may not, crank. It seems to be completely random. It will no crank a few tries and then fire right back up directly afterward, or maybe it will work fine for a while, you never know.

I've also noticed that the windshield wipers will act erratically. Sometimes they won't work at all, other times the timing is off, other times it will take 30 seconds to stop after I turn it off, other times it will work just fine.

The gas gauge doesn't work, and there was one instance that the dash lit up all lights and speedo went nuts, it went back to normal in about 5 seconds and hasn't happened since.

I don't know if these issues are related or multiple separate issues, but diagnosing is giving me a headache.

I've just completed some basic maintainence so far. Replaced the battery, replaced spark plugs and wires.

Battery is reading correct voltage, 12 at the posts, 14 running, and since it's a new battery I have eliminated that as the issue.

If all of these issues are related I'm assuming there is some ground wire that has to do with the dash, wipers, starter or ignition switch that I need to find, anyone know where the correlation is between these malfunctioning systems? I swapped the starter relay and that didn't help.

Planning on replacing the starter solenoid within the week to eliminate another possibility, although if that's the case I don't think the dash/wipers are related, unless there's a circuit between them all that I'm not aware of.

If you can't tell, I'm not a mechanic, but I'm confident in my ability to learn and overcome. Any pointers or steps to take in order to eliminate possibilities would be appreciated!

·
Been there Done it
7,045 Posts
What he said.^^^
S10's primary cause of any electrical issue is a loose or corroded ground wire/cable. A lot of times it's just loose battery cables. If that doesn't fix it follow all the cables to whatever they bolt to and be sure the connection is rust free and tight.
Then look on your engine for ground wires/straps that go to the firewall or frame.

·
It's mostly BS
2,671 Posts
Check the ground lugs above the oil filter, that's the ground for the ECM and the control side ground for the starter relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be checking the grounds in the morning. This morning the truck wouldn't start at all. I took the starter off and it was completely shot. Replaced it and it fired up wonderfully. Thought that must be the issue, I was wrong. Still intermittently not cranking. Will update soon after I mess with the grounding connections and possibly run new wires to the starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe that the ignition wire is shorting out somewhere in the circuit and frying my solenoid, so I'm thinking about just bypassing the system and installing a push ignition.

·
Administrator
21,742 Posts
There a few threads on here about trying that...not sure if any were successful. I think I'd find the short before something really goes sideways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts