S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Recently my batt light came on and alt meter dropped to nine...not charging. Was close enough to get home and put charge on batt..all ok, I thought Few days later batt light came on and alt showed nine again but this time started charging before I could get home. I have cleaned battery connections and tried again with same result....batt light on, amp meter to nine. Any suggestions where to start? Maybe could be ignition switch, battery or alternator ? Also does the alternator have a relay that could be doing this? Any help would be appreciated...
thanks

·
Administrator
22,390 Posts
Moved to Electrical/Lighting.

Instead for aiming the parts canon at it, take the alternator off and have it tested. Load test on the battery wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And since it's an S10, check that all of your grounds are clean and tight.
I am having the exact same problem - my volt meter drops to 10-12 under load. Besides the ground to the battery what other grounds are there on these trucks?

If it needs an alternator, which one is recommended? Do Four Seasons last? The high output one from the full size trucks?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had the same problem a few years ago, (in a day). It was the regulator in the alternator. You can't swap regulators/brushes out like a denso or bosch. You need a new/rebuilt alternator. But....You can get it tested on the vehicle at Oreilly's and Autozone.
They will test the alternator output, as well as the battery. No need to pull it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unless you need a high amperage output ( big stereo or lights ) an OEM rebuilt is pretty good. I bought a 100 amp rebuilt at oreillys for too much. I would recommend one of the OEM companies if you want to upgrade the output IE denso, bosch, delphi (OEM)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts