S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some input on brakes and repairs. I replaced the front pads about 1200 miles ago since there was 110,000 miles on the original ones. After driving about 1200 miles they started to grind at slow speeds. Then for a a day they did not make any noises so I thought that it was just dirt but the following day they started again and last weekend I replaced the rotors thinking that maybe they had a warp to them. Drive about 85 miles home on eway no noise then about 40 miles of stop and go traffic and it has returned grinding at slow speeds and braking. Is it possible that the calipers are hanging up and causing this? I am wondering why it is just started why not right after changing the pads why did it take 1200 miles. Again changed the front rotors and after about 85 miles no noise but as soon as some city traffic it is grinding again. Any input or possible suggestions what what can cure this would be helpful.
Thanks...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
are you sure that its not what the pad's compound is made out of? maybe you have some wierd semi-metelalic setup only a thought or some sort of mis-alignment where the pads are coming into contact with the rotor-which of course you would only hear at slow-slower speeds (did you use a C'clamp to push the pistons back in??)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I had to take it in to a repair shop since I could not get the rear disc/rotors off, I bought a repair book but it mentions nothing on how to get to the parking park adjuster to get the parking brake shoes down enough to be able to pull off the rear discs/rotors, since I was not sure on just how to do this besides attempting to pound them off and after a few hits they did not move I decided a shop can do it and possible cause a lot less damage then I, so I took it in and it was the rear brakes, the one rear caliper was frozen causing additional wear on the disc/rotor and the grinding that was going on. If it was not my main mode of transportation I would have tried to do it myself but I need to to get around so I opted for a shop to do it. I guess that the rear pads wear as much as front pads and that is not what happens when you have front discs and rear drums but maybe they have it down so that they wear at the same rate over when I work on cars back in the 1970's in the backyard. You can't see the set up to know where or how to get the rear discs/rotors off, not like my 1973 Corvette where you can at least see were the parts, are not easy to get at but you can. I guess that is why they want you to know how to get the rotors/discs off or take it in. Just a little more to have it done but it is done. Thanks for your reply...
Regards...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts