S-10 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

New Old Timer
378 Posts
All the 2000 and later (2k+) motors were the same on the inside, it is the externals that would change.

#1. Any 2k+ truck motor will work. I'm not sure if the Flexfuel motor is a drop in replacement, but it would convert easily, mostly just swapping sensors and/or other external parts.

#2 This is an option on 2k+ motors. You would have to swap the intake manifold (unless that is the intake you want to run), the exhaust manifold, the water manifold, water neck and one of the head freeze plugs. You will probably need to swap-out most of the sensors also and possibly the Ignition Control Module.

You could use a '98 or '99 motor, but the EGR and water manifolds would have to be swapped. A J-Body motor can also be used, but all the externals would have to be swapped over. The '97 and older motors were a different design (heads, cam, pistons, etc...) and would not swap easily.

Either way, you should only need to take the needed parts from you motor and put them on the new motor.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts