S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am having an issue with my transmission pump. It makes a whining noise in first and second gear but not the rest, also when downshifting from 2nd to 1st it has a slight whine like it retracting the fluid maybe. When I keep a steady pace in first or second it makes like an up and down whine (kinda hard to explain.) I recently did some work on the transmission like replace the pump with a remanned one because my original pump the rotor broke inside, therefor I was unable to move in any gear. I have been doing some research and someone has said that there will be a whining noise if the pump is starving for fluid but he also said that it would be in every gear. What I have replaced is the trans pump, torque converter, fluid, and filter.

Thank you

·
Randy
603 Posts
A pump turns at engine speed, It cannot distinguish gear changes. a pump may whine at certain engine speeds. it may change tones at certain RPM's or throttle setting. 700R4's and 4L60E's have a variable displacement pump.
the noise is more like a torrington bearing in the front planet assembly.

·
Been there Done it
12,457 Posts
Is that whine doing any harm if everything else is OK? I heard Torrington bearings can whine for a long time???

·
Randy
603 Posts
they can, but when they finally go... its catastrphic

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,334 Posts
That’s like asking if a rod knock should be addressed now, or after the rod is poking out the side of the block

·
Randy
603 Posts
If you like to see carnage of parts definitely wait. if you get it early it may be hard to find the actual bad bearing. the captured bearing inside the front & rear planet cannot be taken apart to look at...

Reactions: GameOver762
1 - 7 of 7 Posts