S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
In charge of the big door
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I figured I should finally start a build thread on my 2000 blazer. I am not trying to make a hardcore off road vehicle or anything. I will probably keep it at stock height since my wife drives it sometimes. I will mainly be using it as a daily driver. Other than that I don’t have a real direction that I want to go in. I just work on it when the mood strikes me, or more likely when I actually have time, which isn’t very often. Not with a 17 month old and a wife who works weird hours. Here are some pictures from when I first got it. Just your typical stock blazer.

I actually started this thread last summer on Blazerforum.com. I am just now copying it over here.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lets try this again

Here is some pictures of the flares that I installed. They don't look great (they look terrible actually), but they keep barney Fife off my back, since the wheels stick out about 2" past the fender. I didn't measure the backspacing on the wheels when I had them installed (oops).
Sorry for the dark photos, I wanted to just grab some quick shots while I still had a little bit of light left.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got some 2" wheel spacers for the back.

it makes a huge difference, it actually fills out the flare. My driveway has a weird hump where I am parked, that is why the back wheel is at that weird angle.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I did an electric fan conversion. I'll start with the boring stuff, then on to pictures. I used a set of second generation Dodge intrepid fans I got from the junk yard for $20. I like them because with just a little bit of trimming they fit the blazer radiator perfectly. Also I like the way they are wired. Basically they have 3 wires, 2 positive and 1 ground. When either positive gets 12v both fans run at low speed. but when they both get 12v they go into high speed. I wired them so that when my temp switch gets to about 190 degrees low speed will come on. Also when my AC comes on the low speed comes on. If I have the AC on and the engine gets to 190 degrees they kick into high speed. The one draw back is that this drops my voltage to below 14v and it sounds like it is going to take flight. However, they don't run for too long. I do have to apologize for my lack of picture taking. I usually get into what I am doing and forget to take pictures. I will draw up a quick drawing of my wiring diagram then post pictures of the install. Here is the fan controller that I picked up from my local advance.
Buy Imperial Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control 226203 at Advance Auto Parts

Here is my wiring diagram (I am not an artist).

Before I bought my blazer it was wrecked and apparently the body shop that fixed it didn't replace the fan shroud. So I didnt mind cutting it up to mount the fans since it was already cracked. I cut the shroud and screwed the top of the fans to it and I added a metal tab in the middle of the fans to sit in the factory slot at the bottom. I didn't grab a picture because I was running out of light. I also cut the edges off tabs and the sides off of the fans because they hit the tanks on my radiator. I'll clean up the cut on the top eventually. I was more focused on getting the wiring and operation done, and then focus on appearance.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the controller box that I build inside of a project box from RadioShackhttp://blazerforum.com/forum/#. It fits perfectly on the plastic panel inside the bumper. I ran some small screws with nuts through the panel to hold it in place. the wiring goes as follows. Black = Ground, yellow & blue connected to white = 12v to fans, yellow wires connected to red = 12v from batt., light blue = signal from temp sensor, green connected to light blue, signal from AC.

Here is the box mounted to the panel (this was mounted after all the wiring was done. Just in case some of this seems out of order.)

from underneath

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is my fan controller. It has a temp sensor which is attached to the radiator with the supplied hardware. The wire on the left goes to the engine temp relays and the one on the left comes from a wire on the core support (wiper motor harness) to tell it the key is on. This way the fans won't come on unless the key is in the ignition. This doesn't supply power, it just tells the relays when to turn the fan on. the larger bolt is also where the fans ground. The bolt it self is rusty but the metal underneath is clean. I know this wiring looks messy, but I took the picture of the temporary set up just to test it. It has all been cleaned up since then.

The green wire here is from the AC clutch that goes to the fan relays to tell the AC fan to come on. the blue one in the back goes to the fan controller. I actually ran them inside the wire looms down to the fuse boxhttp://blazerforum.com/forum/#. This way they look nice and clean. at the fuse box I ran them out of the loom and under the fuse box. This is also where I connected the 12v and i put them all in some split loom and ran it down to the controller. the signal for the controller comes out of the loom at the core support and goes to the controller. Then the wire from the controller goes into the loom.

Here is where the power wire connects and meets the signal wires and goes into the loom. In the second picture you can see the harness before I ran it through the firewall and put the connector on the end. In the third you can see where it goes down to the core support by the washer bottle.

Here is the harness coming through the fire wall. I didn't get a picture, but the grounds for the relays are connected to the firewall.

Here the harness with the end on it. I used the stock connectors from the Intrepid since they have the right number of connectors and they are weather proof. I might shorten the loom up later because it is a little bit long. I just connected my wiring with crimp connectors, so shortening it wouldn't be a big deal.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More efan pics!

my signal wires are run inside the stock looms and taped up looking very factory

I didn't get a picture of the connector on the fans themselves because it was a weird spot. What I did was unhook them from up top and zip tied them to the frame on the bottom of the fan and ran them under the core support.

Here is the connector coming from the bottom of the fans.

Here is the wire coming up to the back of the bumper to connect to the controller box

Fans mounted. the connector in this picture has been moved down to the bottom. It was much easier to connect it to the controller that way.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got some clear turn signals

I decided not to really do a how to on this since it is very simple. Just pull the grill off and pop out the old lights and put the new ones in (make sure to install amber bulbs).

Here is is with the stock lights

I have defaced my blazer!

Old and new lights

New lights in. I think it looks way better.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New cat-back exhaust

I really didn't do all these projects in one day. I just finally got around to putting them on my computer, resizing them and putting them on Photo bucket. I got the Dynomax 19331 catback system from Amazon. It fits almost perfect. the rear hanger has to be trimmed to avoid hitting the frame. I cut the curved end off with a cutoff wheel, heated it and added a new bend and it fits perfect. Other than that it is inexpensive and very easy to install. the pictures aren't great because I had to use my parents' very cramped garage. I need to buy a place with my own garage. I have had it on for a couple months. It is very quiet. It has a slight rumble on start up and is quiet during driving. It is a little too quiet for me. Here is a link to the exhaust I, and some pictures.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-19331-Exhaust-System/dp/B000CIR3K0/"]
[/ame] Dynomax 19331 Exhaust System : Amazon.com : Automotive

Here is the exhaust un-boxed. It comes with everything except the tools

Here it is next to the giant stock muffler. It doesn't show up really well in the picture but the stock tailpipe was smashed quite badly. I put a red circle around it. sometimes I wonder what the PO did to this blazer

I didn't weld it yet just used the supplied clamps. I might get a flowmaster, i like my exhaust to make a little more noise.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think anyone is really reading this thread, but I'll update it anyway. I grabbed a set of 15" Camaro wheels of CL for $200 with tires. I sold the tires for $30 since they were car tires. The wheels were aqua, so I didn't want to keep that. I wanted to go gunmetal but keep the polished edges. So I primed them and painted the inside with black hammer finish paint. I used the red primer because I had a bunch of it. After 2 wheels I switched to dark gray because the red kept popping through. for the front of the wheels I primed them, and they sanded the edges, painted with 3 coats of duplicolor hammer finish then sanded the edges. then cleared them. There are some blemishes and dings and knicks in the wheels, but then again they are old and not really that expensive. when i was done painting i sanded the exposed eges with 150 grit, then 320 grit. That gave me the polished look I was going for. After that i put 3 coats of duplicolor clear on them. The guy I got the wheels from drilled and tapped the alignment holes for the factory center caps and used some small screws to hold on the aftermarket caps. Surprisingly the caps fit perfectly in the small recess in the center bore of the wheel. Sorry for being so wordy, I will just post a bunch of pictures now.

removing the center caps

washing and scuffing

scuffed (front and back) and ready for priming

priming the back

All black

On to the front

taped and ready for paint

primer

Paint!

first one painted, sanded, and cleared. the sanding of the polished edges during coats took forever. Oh and the carpet, is an old carpet in my basement, not my living room or anything.

half way there

4 15s in the back of the blazer!

mounted and on the blazer.

with center caps

parked next to my wife's forester with my dogs. They ride around in the back of my blazer all the time.

we went out for my wife's birthday and I parked next to this nice looking first gen.

·
get over it....
1,233 Posts
sub'd and deff watching, keep it up is looks good.... I think I might do the gunmetal gray on my c6 this upcoming summer.....

btw I got a brand new intrepid fans I want to install it but idk which way to do wiring and I like ur diagram so im going to give some thought on it and who knows....

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the last couple of days i have been having less and less power but no Check engine light. This morning any time the engine got to around 2k rpm it would stumble and almost stall. I can't get above 40 mph unless I am going down hill. When I was coming down the road to my office I decided to floor it. That triggered a PO339, PO339P, & PO410P code. I know what the codes mean, but does this mean i need to replace my heat pump, and my crank sensor?

1 - 20 of 289 Posts