S-10 Forum banner

Drum or disk rear (non tow application / automatic)

• Drum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disk

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever thought about doing a conversion kit with factory parts?

The 4x4 came with disk on the rear, but the axle shaft is ~2" longer than the RWD variant, same splines, same O.D.

Could the anchor plate from the 4x4 be bolted to the axle flange (without modification?), And use all O.E. parts for rear disk? (Like the Xtreme model callipers/rotor/e-break?)

The drums are fine and work well enough, I just would like to have disk rear, thoughts?

Sorry if this is dumb.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
Been done hundreds of times. Check the Wheels/Tires/Brakes section.

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
Just my personal opinion, if the drums work why go to discs? The rear of a pickup is so light the only thing you'll accomplish is making the ABS activate sooner and more often.
The very first GM vehicles to get rear anti lock brakes were the 2wd pickups because there was an issue with the rear brakes locking too soon. In rain on a crowned road or a curve that resulted in the rear coming around.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
Just my personal opinion, if the drums work why go to discs? The rear of a pickup is so light the only thing you'll accomplish is making the ABS activate sooner and more often.
The very first GM vehicles to get rear anti lock brakes were the 2wd pickups because there was an issue with the rear brakes locking too soon. In rain on a crowned road or a curve that resulted in the rear coming around.
I had a small problem with early activation at first. After I installed the big brakes up front, the problem went away. Never touched the prop valve. After '96, the abs took over that function.

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ease of service.

Had a bad experience with a drum camming over and locking, so I don't go to shops for breaks anymore.

·
time to get cereal
5,616 Posts
Drums are way easier to service IMO, because you have to do it less often. The internals aren't subjected to road grime, salt water, etc.

Also, the disc brakes still have a drum in them for the parking brake, and there are more parts that cost more money.

·
time to get cereal
5,616 Posts
Actually the power is usually similar, but drums fade a lot quicker.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sorry if this is dumb.
Not a dumb question if you're eager to listen to the responses.

The effort to change to disk rears is really not worth the return. You can buy top shelf brake shoes that will get you enough brake power to easily lock up the rear. Any more power than that and you can't use it. If you're not racing, then about the only time you need to worry about drum brake fade (yes, it's really a thing), is on long steep hills in an automatic when your bed is loaded up to the max. If you do that all the time, then I'd suggest that an S10 probably isn't the right truck for you. Not that the S10 is bad, just that there are considerably better tools for that job that'll give you improvements across the board with handling, braking, payload, etc. I have a full-size GMT400 pickup and the rears are drums. I changed rear axles from a 10-bolt to a 14 bolt and got 1" wider drum shoes. The braking improved dramatically to the point where, when unloaded, I have to be careful to moderate braking so as to not lock the rears which, in wet and snowy weather, can prompt the truck to spin around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts