S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently gained some extra dough, but thats not important.

id like to build up my 91 s10 A code 2.5 up a bit. but i dont want to spend over 2grand.

any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i want to keep the four banger for gas mileage primarly.

i travel alot for my job and it isnt a very competitive ride when im in st louis. and there are plenty of good reasons to stay somewhat quick there.

plus, why remove a good engine just to put in a bigger one that you dont know if you can trust?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, that doesnt make my truck any faster, only prettier. beyond that i dont want to do the body work, im too lazy lol

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dude on the 2.5 your pretty much shit outa luck....The onley reson your getting good mpg right now is cause that thing is a turn on the power. Good little engines. But If you want to you could get a header, do some intake mods, and possible a small shot of cheater spray(NOS).......

·
Backyard Special
1,344 Posts
damn Im already jealous that you got the A code engine, and I got the the weaker E code one so right there is a 13hp gain from the E code trucks also like stated your really limited to the "performance mods" for the Iron Duke, but if you really are looking to spend around $2000 then Im sure you could take it to a machine shop and have the it port, polished, up grade the exhaust, port match the intake for 2k you could do some damage to your motor but have little pay out thats the thing.

·
Backyard Special
1,344 Posts
Also look through the 2.5L turbo thread they have mods you can do in there. besides turboing it ha

·
Boosted S Dime
91 Posts
look at the engine building post. i talked about some mods in it and up a link for cams.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all. ill check out those threads a bit more

·
Registered
12 Posts
well under-drive pulleys dont do diddly squat ive seen dyno numbers just do exactly the same with or without the under-drive pulley. electric fan could help around 10hp. get a smaller lighter battery. a good camber caster and toe alignment done.
well if you do pull the motor put in some higher compression pistons and run 97 octane pump gas, possibly try running more timing advance camshafts may or may not help thats a very particular subject...(a/c, no a/c, automatic,stick, wheight of the flywheel. ect...). headers.... yeah go for it if you want but the whole exhaust has to be redone to do anything. but for maybe 500 bucks an electric fan install may be the ticket to some extra ponies and gas mileage. new ign plugs cap and wires to keep it in tip shape couldnt hurt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it came from the factory without a/c, its a 5spd.

i have replaced all the plugs, wires, distributer...

basically everything involving the ignition to keep it tip top.

it has about 77,000 miles on it so it still has plenty of life.

i thought about swapping the cam but i have never done a cam swap. so the thought makes me nervous

·
Registered
279 Posts
bdup678 is right, check out the engine building thread. He's been helping me see what I could do. It'd help you see what you can do too. I'm trying to do the same thing so we are both in the same boat with the cam swapping and such.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Try a new ecm, install some other things like a bigger throttle body, massive injectors, etc, it will go wayyyy fast..............

BTW I agree with MarkM......

·
Registered
12 Posts
with the 2.5 duke; even the a code; all the restriction in the airflow is in the head. porting may help some but hardly noticeable. you would need much larger port sizes and less bend to the valves. much larger intake valves and somewhat larger exhaust. new throttle bodies dont make a difference. more fuel will just give you the sense of going slightly faster but can burn up a catalytic converter in no time flat. the 2.5 was an economy motor not built for modification to higher hp. period. its a gas sipper. if anyone knew how to build it remotely faster it would be all over the internet on the fiero forums, s10 forums, grand am forums and even wikipedia.
if anyone really really wanted more hp they would need to lengthen the deck height... spacer plate and piston sleeve. this would allow for a longer connecting rod which would help the lower end from coming apart at higher rpms. around 2" longer deck and 1.8" longer rods would allow for much higher rpm range maybe 7500 rpms with a very balanced crankshaft and some extremely light rods, possibly need titanium.but you may expect anywhere near 500hp "IF" you could flow a ton more air(turbo?). the super duty crankshaft may be just perfect for this application if one could be found.
*ranting done*
otherwize make the truck lighter its going to get better mileage and not sacrifice sportiness but increase it.
*smaller lighter battery
*lighter seat(s)
*lighter starter
*lighter hood
*lighter wheels
* " " brakes
* '' '' steering linkage (rack and pinion)
* '' '' drive shaft
anything that can be lightened in the front end or drive-train
but again start with an electric fan that is thermostatic switch controlled.
almost free 10 to 15 hp

·
Registered
8,782 Posts

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
If you are dropping weight, you could leave the tail gate at home, glovebox cover could come off, why does anyone need 5 lug nuts on each wheel anyway, shurely only one brake pad on each brake would be ok for a 4 cylinder, shifter knob could come off, radio out, windshield and back glass there would go some wind restriction, side view mirrors, loose the exhaust from the manifold back, take the hood off, headlights have some weight, spare tire could go, bumpers, Just kidding having too much fun with this one....... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
weight reduction seems to be the key then, the electric fan will probably be the first thing i do, then maybe the hood. idk how much a new driveshaft will give me though... any ballpark figures?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.