S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 4.3 s10 looking to find an aftermarket intake manifold to get rid of the fuel injectors and run a carb does Edelbrock make an intake for this year

·
Been there Done it
10,112 Posts
After you put the Edelbrock intake on how are you planning to get the transmission to shift w/o half your engine sensors? What kind of distributor are you planning to use? Be sure it has a gear compatible with your roller camshaft. How do you plan to get your fuel pressure down from 60 to 5 psi? Any plans for throttle linkage? Then there is the matter of whether or not any of your gauges will work since they are all supplied data from the PCM.
Hope you don't live anywhere they do annual inspections. It'll never pass.

By the time you get most of it working half way decent you'll have more money tied up in it than the truck is worth.
Just the carb, intake and TPS kit will be approaching a grand. You can probably find an old truck with a carb already on it for less. Like a 79 C1500.

I worked at a Pontiac dealer in the 60's when carbs was all there was. Believe me they are not the cure all folks think they are. Ever tried doing any serious tuning on a carb? You have to disassemble them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After you put the Edelbrock intake on how are you planning to get the transmission to shift w/o half your engine sensors? What kind of distributor are you planning to use? Be sure it has a gear compatible with your roller camshaft. How do you plan to get your fuel pressure down from 60 to 5 psi? Any plans for throttle linkage? Then there is the matter of whether or not any of your gauges will work since they are all supplied data from the PCM.
Hope you don't live anywhere they do annual inspections. It'll never pass.

By the time you get most of it working half way decent you'll have more money tied up in it than the truck is worth.
Just the carb, intake and TPS kit will be approaching a grand. You can probably find an old truck with a carb already on it for less. Like a 79 C1500.

I worked at a Pontiac dealer in the 60's when carbs was all there was. Believe me they are not the cure all folks think they are. Ever tried doing any serious tuning on a carb? You have to disassemble them.
I am turning it into an off-road vehicle only mice chewed up all the wiring i will just not have overdrive not using any of the gauges fuel pressure regulator will be installed and I have an hei distributor this will get me by I just needed to find a manifold to fit

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,143 Posts
Any more info that you haven't shared??

·
Been there Done it
10,112 Posts
If the wiring is gone you'll lose more than just overdrive. It won't shift because of no power to the shift solenoids, among other things. If you are going to run a carb and no PCM you'll need a TH350 from an old 4wd truck that had a carb.
Hopefully you aren't going off road with a 2wd. 2wd works for dune buggies with the engine above the drive wheels. On an S10 all the weight is at the other end of the truck. They won't even go up hill on grass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts