S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Skimmed through and watched a couple minutes of the video. Nice to see a crew cab frame, as it is only recently I learned not all 2nd generation S10 frames were flimsy. I have only owned RWD regular cab S-trucks. After carefully considering options, I used Purple Power and a gas pressure washer to prep the inside of a MI S-truck frame I did couple years ago. Given the amount of factory, waxy undercoating that still remained and difficulty in removing it; I decided to recoat the interior with copious amounts of Fluid Film. I painted the exterior of the frame after rust removal/treatment. With your frame bare, why not abrasive blast the exterior surfaces?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I looked at blasting it and found a reasonable price, a shop nearby could do it for $200 an hour and he said it wouldn't take him more than 2. This quote was before the gas hike so mula is tight lol... plus I'd have to get someone to trailer the frame to his blasting facility. From what I've seen, the rust encapsulator products are great, with basic brushes and tools I'm confident it'll be great.
Understood.

I used Mastercoat® Ultimate Permanent Rust Sealer on the exterior of the mentioned frame, and some sheet metal. Cannot provide long-term feedback, but others praise it if used properly. I used a combination of foam brush application and spraying with an old, electric, airless Wagner Power Sprayer. I top-coated 2 – coats of the Rust Sealer with 2 – coats of “catalyzed” Rustoleum Farm & Implement alkyd enamel in Low Gloss Black. Even “catalyzed”, the Rustoleum took quite a long time to fully harden. However, it was cheap and looks good enough for the coated areas.

I will be using Mastercoat again after I get back to the current project of rust treatment and reapplication of seam sealer in the cowl plenum of the same vehicle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts