S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, time is coming for the system, and i need to replace the tiny alt in the car with a big, bad one! problem is, i dont know any companies that make them. so if anyone knows of a website/company that makes high-output alts, post! about 180-200 amps would be good (im running a 2500.1 amp)

·
work in progress
2,628 Posts
check e-bay. They always have a few there.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx a lot guys. im going to have 2 12" RE HC subs, pushed by a DEI Viper 2500.1 amp, on 1/0 AWG wire. should be fun running under the trim pieces lol. also a MTX 4202 2-channel amp for the Infinity Kappa 6.5's up front, and im just getting a set of PowerAcoustic speakers for the rear deck, unamped. gotta go get the MDF and peel 'n seal from Lowes soon, so i can do the deadening while the weather is nice.

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
Yeah that large gauge wire is a pain in the ass. I used 2 gauge with my system, had to drill a new hole in the firewall. Also after you get that new alternator, think about getting a second battery as well. If you do, then look at the stinger brand before you get an Optima. Alot of people think Optima is the best, but I found stinger batteries to be awesome.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was looking into a second battery, but its just too complicated and too expensive, especially with the price this system is cutting out of my tax return check.

·
Truckin' on a budget
1,847 Posts
hahaha thats what im doin too is using my tax return check for part of my system im doin 2 re XXXs and 2 jbl 1200.1s with a infinity component sytem

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why only 1200.1's for the subs?

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
grndscrpr03 said:
Yeah that large gauge wire is a pain in the ass. I used 2 gauge with my system, had to drill a new hole in the firewall. Also after you get that new alternator, think about getting a second battery as well. If you do, then look at the stinger brand before you get an Optima. Alot of people think Optima is the best, but I found stinger batteries to be awesome.
Why get a 2nd battery? Do you play your stereo with your truck off a lot?

Thats the only way they help unless you are competing.......

Extra batteries can actually hurt your alternator......its just got another thing to charge. So its workin 2x as hard. Even with an isolator.

·
Registered
806 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
on 1/0 AWG wire. should be fun running under the trim pieces lol.
Wont fit under the trim. Save yourself some headache, undo the 2 nuts closest to the seat, that way u can pull the seat up somewhat. Run the wire under the carpet and under the seat......will look alot better, alot easier, and doesnt take much more time to do.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
powermaster doesnt make one, and 4alterstart has a 100 amp alt.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
laynlow, do the bolts go directly into the unibody, or are there nuts i need to loosen underneath before i take the seat bolts out?

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
grndscrpr03 said:
No actually a 2nd battery helps against power drain. Keeps your headlights from dimming, along with your dashlights.
I'm gonna have to disagree here.

If your headlights are dimming, its because of your alt not putting out enough amps.
A battery, once the car is started, is essentially useless.
All its really there for, is to provide juice for the starter to start the motor.

A 2nd one, will not help headlight dimming.

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
Have you ever experienced it first hand? I have, my buddy did it with his car. What the second battery does it allows for more power storage and keeps the strain off of the alternator. Now I never said to get a battery instead of the alternator. I think it would be in his best interest to do both. It's almost the same thing as getting a farad cap, a battery is just a bigger farad cap and works a hell of alot better.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
No offense but there is a lot of miss information on this thread.

1st off a battery does play several critical roles in the charging system of a car even wile running. You see an Alt is not meant to put out even 70% of its output (amps) all the time. It will get way to hot and like any electrical component, heat will make the output diminish and shorten the life of the alt. Also lets say the combined amp draw potential of the S10 is 150 amps, at 1st glance a 200 amp alt is all you need right.....NO. You see a 200 amp alt can put out at times even more then 200 amps but when the system is not drawing 200 amps? Now would be a good time to have some kind of storage device to make the system more efficient. One more thing to think about is a 200 amp alt may put out as little as 70 amps at idle, this would be a good time to use that stored energy, aka battery.

2nd In some cases adding a 2nd battery can hurt you, actually it would in most cases. The main reason is because if your alt is only a 75 amp and your car draws close to that (lest say 40 amps) it doesn't leave much amperage for charging battery's. But with a 200 amp alt and you biggest current draw is a stereo ( witch doesn't consitantly draw its rated current) you will not only have plenty of amperage to charge 2 battery's but you should run 2 battery to, again put that 200 amps to good use.

3rd and finally, when it comes to batt isolators, I say this.....
When it comes the stereos battery isolator will make possible to run a miss matched charging systems but at a high cost! A typical batt isolator uses solid state witch has huge voltage drops, meaning a lot of energy is being wasted. Now if you want to "isolate your starting battery from your stereo you can use 2 constant duty solenoids with little to no voltage drop but you will still need a alt that can charge 2 battery's at once

I don't mean to step on toes but half truths or suspicions can really steer people in the wrong direction because you cant see voltage, its vary abstract.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts