S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 S-10. Have some questions about the job.

1. How much would this setup cost?
-I assume that Belltech would be my drop hardware of choice
2. How much more rough would the truck ride?
3. If I wanted to go 3-4, how would I change this config.
4. Is there a better way to do a 4-4 or 3-4?

·
Still 2 High
1,515 Posts
if you go with 2" drop coils in the front your gunna need to get new shocks there... in the rear i'd either go with a 3" block and a leaf pulled out or 3" drop leafs and 1" block.. i don't think you'll need new shocks in the back either

·
Registered
141 Posts
i think shocks are relatively cheap though compared to spindles and 3' drop leafs...the best price ive found the leafs is $150 plus shippin...if anyone knows where a better price is, please let me know....i would do the leafs in the back wit 1' blocks instead of 4' blocks...

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
if you're going for a 4/4 then i suggest 2" spindles and 2" coils of course. I had that setup just recently with belltech drop shocks and it rode very nice. the rear, save your money and don't buy leafs. keep the stock ones and if you want a 4" drop back there just use a 4" block and keep the ride the same as stock. With the 4" block you don't need to buy drop shocks and that will save you money as well. if you want to go even lower than 4" just remove a leaf and get you a set of toxic shocks and you're good to go. Don't forget to remove your bumpstop brackets off the frame or it will be very bouncy.

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Gotta love the PRO advice! Thanks for the replies! I talked to a friend of mine who does lowering jobs for everyone I practically know that has a dropped truck. He told me that I should just get coils in the front and flip the axle in the back. I know that the coils in the front are a good idea, but what about the axle flipping in the back? Sorry, realllly a nOOb here when it comes to truck suspension. :eek: If I did do the coils in the front and the axle flip in the back, how much drop would I get out of the back axle flip? I am going for a 4inch in the back, so what else would I need to get that 4 inches? Thanks. :)

·
676 Posts
for the front i would go with springs and spindles...for the back IMO i would pull a leaf and go with a 3 inch block. i don't think Belltech makes a 4 inch block. But i believe DJM does. So if you want to run all Belltech the biggest is a 3 inch block.

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the deal with the axle flip? My friend was talking about it. Is that mandatory on every drop job? That's what the blocks are for right? Friend also mentioned that I need a axle flip kit. Anyone have advice 'bout this?

·
676 Posts
i've never heard of doing that if your gonna go lower...i wouldn't do all that. i think thats for lifting it or something?? because the leaf springs would go over the axle so you could raise it with blocks...but to go lower with blocks the leafs need to be under the axle like how they are

·
Still 2 High
1,515 Posts
a flip kit is usually done on fullsize trucks.. a flip kit will not be needed on a s10 or sonoma because the leaf pack is already below the axle

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
yeah what he said....

I wouldn't roll a 4 inch block, you won't get near stock ride....it'll be bouncy. I have belltech 3 inch leaves, 2 inch blocks in back and 2 inch spindles, 2 inch coils in front.....on stock base model shocks all around and the things rides a little too comfy really.....I'm going to get some stiffer shocks, but the thing rides like a stocker as it sits.....just watch out for dips in the road.

Caleb

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the advice. I'm lookin for performance for the cost right now. I am definately going to drop it 3/4 now. I have looked over all the replies and haven't found a setup for the 3/4. I thought i was going to go 4/4 but changed my mind. OK....best 3/4 drop for the cost and performance. Lets hear what you pros have to say!

·
i wanna go fast
656 Posts
3/4 = 2" spindles, 1" coil, 4" block

You dont need a flip kit on an s10.

Don't forget about JC Whitney, they have very good prices!

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember someone saying that 4inch blocks will rattle your brains. If it's true, I don't want to go the 4inch block route. There any other way to do this?

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
if you're going for more performance and a cheaper price you're gonna want to run spindles and a 1" coil up front.
For the rear, the 4" block will be too much and it will screw up your handling, but the ride is not bouncy like everyone says. Sure you get wheel hop but that's nothing a $10 set of leaf clamps can't fix. You want a 4" drop in the rear? remove a leaf, install a 3" block and if you don't want to hop like a rabbit back there then I reccomend leaf clamps. I've been running mine since 8 months ago or so and no wheel hop at all and the ride isn't too bad either, and that's with the same setup i just mentioned.
If you want to use drop leafs then go with belltech of course since they run a multi-pack instead of a mono leaf setup. the ride is better and you won't have those big-ass u bolts sticking up too far under the axle like me :D

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I like your ideas anotherblacks10. How much would you think the cost would come to for the Bell-Tech hardware: 2" spindles, 1"spring. I have my mind made up on that stuff /\. Would it be worth it to do the drop leaves in the back instead of getting 3" blocks and pulling a leaf. Do they make 4" drop leaves? Thanks again. Does Bell-Tech make drop leaves?

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
NateDawg said:
I like your ideas anotherblacks10. How much would you think the cost would come to for the Bell-Tech hardware: 2" spindles, 1"spring. I have my mind made up on that stuff /\. Would it be worth it to do the drop leaves in the back instead of getting 3" blocks and pulling a leaf. Do they make 4" drop leaves? Thanks again. Does Bell-Tech make drop leaves?

The spindles are a definite cause you're gonna want them later in case you want to bag your truck. the best place for coils is summit or jcwhitney (if you want to pay full price). What i did both times i changed my coils is I looked through the classifieds in the for sale forum and got them for $50 shipped. The spindles i bought from summit cause they're heavy and i didn't want to pay shipping and summit has free shipping on anything under 150lbs. The spindles will be around $150 and they do charge you $7.95 handling but it's better to pay $8 than $40 for shipping a set of spindles.
For the rear. A 4" drop in the rear, a 3" block and remove a leaf.
a 3" block from summit is like $27 and that includes the hardware.
There are companies that make a 4" dearched lowering leaf and those would cost you around $150 + shipping which can be a lot since they weigh around 30lbs a piece. Your best bet
Click here
They have 4" leafs for $59 a set and shipping is like another $40 or so which comes out cheaper than any other place i've looked at leafs online. They're a very reputable company as well so don't be afraid to order from them.
Either way you go on the rear setup you would need to run drop shocks which are around $32 a piece and i would recommend you get as well from summit cause the entire package you purchase ie; spindles, blocks and shocks will only cost you the $7.95 handling fee for shipping all of that.
Good luck

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much for your help. It's great to get a pro to give you some advice. You always know that it is good advice. I'm not sure whether I will get blocks or drop leaves. I think the leaves ride better than the blocks, but I'm not sure. Thanks again all!

·
i wanna go fast
656 Posts
anotherblacks10 said:
For the rear, the 4" block will be too much and it will screw up your handling, but the ride is not bouncy like everyone says. Sure you get wheel hop
I guess I don't understand...4" lower is 4" lower. Your axle will be the same distance from the bumpstops any way you cut it. How does it screw up the handling? Stock leafs are stiffer than drop leafs so you should have better handling. ZQ8 trucks are more "bouncy" than mine. Sure I hit the bump stops now and then, big deal. Wheel hop? I dont have any! I did at stock height but not since I put in the blocks. I have also added a rear sway bar so that may make a difference now. Been too long since I didn't have one on so I don't totally remember.

Don't think I am calling out a fight, just curious on your opinions.

Any way, NateDawg, drops are fun! Both the good and the bad that come with them, LOL!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts