S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.those that are running headers, what brand, are they full length/shorty, price, where you get them.. haha alot of sub questions for the first part. I ask about headers simply becuase I visited Hedman Headers Hussler division today, they make some full length's but they wrap around the frame and I dont like that, they look(they had pictures of them in development) like they come close if you were to run like an 8" wheel. They are trick as hell looking tho, you'll probably see them in a month or so, these were just released right before thanksgiving, but anyhow after a discount, (good discount, know the owners), these puppies were still gonna run me $400 coated, they gonna retail at $479 uncoated!
Needless to say, they are most likely not gonna be found on my truck, just can't see that kinda money in headers... AND has anyone tried Eastwoods Silver High Temp Coating? they claim it will NOT turn or come off if directions are followed, always had excellent experiences with Eastwood, but this time Im curious as to what other people have experienced..
2. Second question is about electric fans, i just read the post about the cooling issues, Im headed to the bone yard friday to pick up a 4.3 starter, are they any yr/make model cars that came with electric fans that will work instead of buying new fans?
Sorry for the book, got the motor almost done(down to installing accessories now, will be into the headers/fans next week. thanks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got headman headers shorty style, 109 from summit or jegs. I painted them with a light coat of high temp paint and it hasnt' come of yet. Alot of different kind of electric fans with work, i have heard of camaro, tarus and so forth, just something that will fit ont he radiator you go. Also for starter, i would just recommend getting a new one if ur planning of getting a used one at the junkyard. IT would be worth it bc they are a pain to replace once in the truck. I used a junkyard one and it went out 3 weeks after i did the swap and it was hell replacing it.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
I'm using the shorty heddmanns and the biggest PITA was the collectors. They're not easy to reach to torque the bolts. I've seen full length heddmanns that dont wrap around the frame.

·
Kickin' Crew Cab
55 Posts
I have the JBA chrome shorty headers....They are really well made.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Eastwoods...

My dad used some of the Estwood high temp. silver on his Camaro 302 headers and it still looks great after about 6 years on occasional summer cruising. It's sort of a pain to brush on evenly and get in and around the collector and other tight areas, if you don't spray it on (don't know how well spraying works in comparison) but the big thing is to get the headers blasted and painted quickly afterward - before they have any hint of rust at all and not to touch them after blasting with your fingers or get any other oils etc. on. They smoke like hell when first heated up (supposed to be done within 2 weeks of application) but aside from dull siver finish it seems to last and work great...
As for fans I have a pair from an 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix that I have squeezed into the rad support area where the old smaller 2.2 rad sat and are puhing air through my new rad. Hadn't been out into any real hot days prior to storing the truck for the winter but it seemed to work well - many others have tried Camaro duals with some success and will probably add comments..... Kevin

·
2006 PBM GTO
523 Posts
I have recently (in the past 6 months) completed two trucks.
1991 S10 Blazer - 350/700R4, headman shorty's, sandblasted and painted with VHT high temp paint. has not come off yet. I used the 4.3 radiator and the flexalite 210 fans on it.

1987 S10 Blazer - 355/700R4, hooker long tubes (wrap around the frame) They are a huge pain in the ass. This one had the motor set back further and a short W/P. we used dual fans off af a 2000 Z/28, and damn do they move some air.

Both trucks had the radiator support cut to move the radiator forward. Both trucks are running daul 2 1/2" exhaust with X-pipes and Flowmaster 40 series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts