S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Throw some Ds on that Bch
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be getting 2 12" L7's soon and wiring them to a 1200.1 amp. Im wondering if anyone has done that and how i should wire them (series? parallel?) And a box for them... sealed or ported? I already have 4 awg wire run for the amp, will that be enough, and will my stock alternator handle the setup? I know caps are only a bandaid but i'm going to throw them on their anyway, they were free. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wiring will be based on what ohm they are, dual 2 or 4. You want 1 ohm in the end to get the max out of the amp. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they'd be better in ported because they're for SPL anyways, hopefully you didnt get them for SQ. It needs 1/0 gauge, and as far alt, i dont really know, I would go ahead and do the Big 3 and go from there

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
im not sure bout the wiring but dude let me tell you ... get this freakn box www.subzoneusa.com. they sell em on ebay under $100. thats the box i got and let me tell you this shit ****in SLAAAAAAAAAAAMS

·
355 member
13,485 Posts
yeah they're gonna be loud they'res no denying that

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
TwizTid said:
im not sure bout the wiring but dude let me tell you ... get this freakn box www.subzoneusa.com. they sell em on ebay under $100. thats the box i got and let me tell you this shit ****in SLAAAAAAAAAAAMS
why not get a box that is customized to exactly what you want? especially if he plans on competing, he is going to want a box that is setup for the absolute best score he can get.

you will undoubtedly want to go ported with this. you'll be looking at something like a 6 cu ft box before port and woofer displacement.

as far as wiring is concerned, your options are either .5 ohm load, 2 ohm load, or 8 ohm load. wiring diagram HERE

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome diagram site, i love that. I still dont understand the ohms thing. I understand that less resistance = more watts.. but why not make all woofers 1ohm then? what would be an advantage to 8 ohm woofer, or running two woofers at 8 ohms :dunno:

·
S V T is a little bitch
566 Posts
Enjoithis said:
Awesome diagram site, i love that. I still dont understand the ohms thing. I understand that less resistance = more watts.. but why not make all woofers 1ohm then? what would be an advantage to 8 ohm woofer, or running two woofers at 8 ohms :dunno:
Not all amps will handle a 1 ohm load. And if you run more than 1 sub, different resistance ratings are a must! Some people run 4 subs, some 3 subs, 2 subs and 1 sub. Some people run alot more subs than that. Variety in the voice coil ratings gives you more options to work with.

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh i never thought about that, i always thought there was some other reason for differnt ohms maybe in sound quality or power wise, thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey just to let u know i have the same set up. the right way to do it would be to have dual 4 ohm subs and wire them down to 1 ohm. that amp at 1 ohm is 1200 watts. but at 2ohms its only 600. with the subs you have u should have saved ur self the money and got the 600.1. or return ur subs and get dual 4 ohms. then they will really hit hard.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Enjoithis said:
oh i never thought about that, i always thought there was some other reason for different ohms maybe in sound quality or power wise, thanks
This subject comes up pretty often. Some say that a higher ohm load to the amp has inceased SQ because of less heat. I dont understand all the workings of it, and I have never noticed a difference though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts