S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Equinsu Ocha!
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2-barrel intake modifications

Just call me a glutton for punishment or wired wrong [ I am left handed ]

Not gonna spend $500 on a 4-barrel intake, id pay $100 maybe.

So searching for intake mods ends up with allot of unrelated stuff.
So any first handers here or anyone member such a thread?

I can get enough machine-able block fill for cheap to do the EGR passage and smooth that out.

But if ya notice that relief cut near the barrel divider, that is done as the carb didn’t line up well. And that sharp flat turn can’t be good it could surly use some rounding off. Or even run a hole saw straight down following that relief cut if there is enough meat. Have a nice straight shot like it should be. It would have to help ehy?

Dunno if I could block fill the whole area and just redrill.
[how do ya block off the bottom, then remove it once done as hole would be smaller then.]

And come on I know it’s the long way around, who in their right mind would waste time on such a thing, I would just to see how it works OK.
Has to help too. Unless you wanna sell me a 4bb intake for $100 or less.

So come up with ways to be helpful, saying you wouldn't bother is no help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2-barrel intake modifications

Just call me a glutton for punishment or wired wrong [ I am left handed ]

Not gonna spend $500 on a 4-barrel intake, id pay $100 maybe.

So searching for intake mods ends up with allot of unrelated stuff.
So any first handers here or anyone member such a thread?

I can get enough machine-able block fill for cheap to do the EGR passage and smooth that out.

But if ya notice that relief cut near the barrel divider, that is done as the carb didn’t line up well. And that sharp flat turn can’t be good it could surly use some rounding off. Or even run a hole saw straight down following that relief cut if there is enough meat. Have a nice straight shot like it should be. It would have to help ehy?

Dunno if I could block fill the whole area and just redrill.
[how do ya block off the bottom, then remove it once done as hole would be smaller then.]

And come on I know it’s the long way around, who in their right mind would waste time on such a thing, I would just to see how it works OK.
Has to help too. Unless you wanna sell me a 4bb intake for $100 or less.

So come up with ways to be helpful, saying you wouldn't bother is no help.

Hey I did this to my 2.5p
57CF6AF8-FAFD-4C8A-834C-D5921562D4DE.jpeg
959ABFF2-2A93-4EA3-9F33-17C9169F13EA.jpeg

·
the new guy
854 Posts
man, someone just recently did a mod where they put a 4 barrel adapter on (welded it on) after drawing in pen where to smooth and grind for flow. it looked really good once it was done. I am going to search, hold on

·
the new guy
854 Posts
this guy did it to his 4 cylinder intake to put a 4 barrel on. it came out great so I imagine if you followed along what he did, yours would also come out just as good.

·
Boozebag
9,124 Posts
I have several 4 barrel intakes for the 2.8/3.4.
Edelbrock is the most common and pop up on Ebay occasionally. They have both 2 barrel tops and a 4 barrel version.
Offenhauser also makes an intake, but they are super rare. I have one of those also. It looks like a crazy maze of passages.
The last Eddy I bought was for $200 complete.

If you don't have a TIG welder, or tools - like a die grinder, you could spend a fair amount making mods to an intake.
One other note - the Eddy has a special design for the ports. One side (driver I think) has smaller ports than the other side.
A lot of research by Eddy went into this. I called them thinking it was a casting flaw, but they said the 60* V6 has unusual intake pulses.
The difference in port size overcomes this issue.
Anyway, if you do this project, post pix

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,321 Posts
I used the Holley/Eddy combo and it worked well. I converted my truck to fuel injection about 7 years ago and pretty happy with that. I don't know about modifying a stock intake. The stock intake flows like garbage and is strangling the engine if you ask me and time is money....just saying man. Not trying to bring you down but by the time you did all this work you'd be upside down on time and money and quite frankly you'd likely wind up with something substandard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used the Holley/Eddy combo and it worked well. I converted my truck to fuel injection about 7 years ago and pretty happy with that. I don't know about modifying a stock intake. The stock intake flows like garbage and is strangling the engine if you ask me and time is money....just saying man. Not trying to bring you down but by the time you did all this work you'd be upside down on time and money and quite frankly you'd likely wind up with something substandard.
Well like I said it want flow as good as a after market intake but I’ve ported and polished engines for 30 years. I have under 100.00 in it and it will flow 100% better than stock. They are the worst designed intake I’ve ever seen but the funnel effect is good for torque that’s what engines were based on. And for all of use that can’t afford 1000. In intake and fuel injection this is way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts