S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm going to do a build on a newer 2.8lv6 for my 84 tahoe 4x4. I bought another 2.8lv6 from a gentleman who claims it came out of an 1989 isuzu trooper. Ive found the stamped pad driverside at transmission reads A090204TMJ. Another casting number on top by distributor passenger side is 1889. The casting numbers in the heads are gm buick heads. This block has a mechanical fuel pump and also a tbi intake. I just cant seem to be able to id this block.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,229 Posts
Moved to 2.8/3.4.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A
going to do a build on a newer 2.8lv6 for my 84 tahoe 4x4 anyways bought another 2.8lv6 from a gentleman who claims it came out of an 1989 isuzu trooper ive found the stamped pad driverside at transmission reads A090204TMJ another casting number on top by distributor passengerside is 1889 the casting numbers in the heads are gm buick heads also this block has a mechanical fuel pump and also a tbi intake just cant seem to be able to id this block.
also has the letter T cast into each side of the block

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
AFAIK, the trooper should have a driver side starter.
What are the head numbers? The 60 degree V6 is a corporate engine and shouldn't have any numbers tied to any specific division (except maybe a few very specific instances where only one brand had a certain option).

Reactions: jimmykicker

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ran the head numbers and they came back as buick dont remember the numbers off hand got a pic i can post

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanting to verify so i can get the right parts if i decide to rebuild this one got an 85 tahoe 4x4 reg cab short bed coming this week but again the motor in it is not the original just wanting to pick the best build for my truck its going to be my dd for awhile.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,229 Posts
Just wanting to verify so i can get the right parts if i decide to rebuild this one got an 85 tahoe 4x4 reg cab short bed coming this week but again the motor in it is not the original just wanting to pick the best build for my truck its going to be my dd for awhile.
Check your pm's...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The raven the starter is a driver side mount, im only confused by the mechanical fuel pump as this is a tbi application motor so im questioning the year I was told. No reason to doubt the gentleman who sold me the engine I just want to make sure when I order my parts Ive got the correct ones. Any information would be highly appreciative thank you.

·
Boozebag
9,314 Posts
Too bad you didn't post before you bought this engine.

The best possible engine for this application is the 3.4 that came in Camaros and Firebirds.
They are a bolt in and offer mucho more power if set up correctly.
Post a pic of the entire engine and I'm sure it can be easily Identified .
Raven is correct.

All of the Isuzu version 2.8s and 3.1s (that I have seen) have a driver side starter.
I'm not sure if the blocks are drilled on the other side for the starter.

·
time to get cereal
3,542 Posts
They still use the small corporate bellhousing pattern though, right? You might be able to us a 2.2L T5 bellhousing to use a driver's side starter.

I would dump it and go with a 3.4L like max said though.

Reactions: jimmykicker

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mad max I only gave $40 for the engine because i needed an exhaust manifold for the current original 2.8 in it. Was just looking at options other then a v8 conversion, did look at the specs for a possible 3.4 swap also not stuck on building this paticular set up just need one to go highway speeds because my commute to work is over 50miles one way.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,399 Posts
Well, what you might have is a mix of parts...OR, it is possible the block is an 82-85 carbureted trooper motor? Look at the sealing surface for the oil pan. At the front, under the front cover of the engine, are there two bolts that go through the pan into the front cover? If so, my "guess" is that the block might be like the S-10 fare (except starter position). It is "rumored" that some 86 S-10 motors used left over 85 blocks with the pump blocked off. What this "could" be is an old block that they put in a newer truck (you said 89), and they had no block off plate. Hence the old mechanical pump sitting there and doing nothing.

All of this is guessing because I have no idea what blocks they used when they used those in the trucks...

Can you send some pix??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, what you might have is a mix of parts...OR, it is possible the block is an 82-85 carbureted trooper motor? Look at the sealing surface for the oil pan. At the front, under the front cover of the engine, are there two bolts that go through the pan into the front cover? If so, my "guess" is that the block might be like the S-10 fare (except starter position). It is "rumored" that some 86 S-10 motors used left over 85 blocks with the pump blocked off. What this "could" be is an old block that they put in a newer truck (you said 89), and they had no block off plate. Hence the old mechanical pump sitting there and doing nothing.

All of this is guessing because I have no idea what blocks they used when they used those in the trucks...

Can you send some pix??
Ill try and get some better pics this weekend going to finish tearing it down and powerwash all the grime and oil off it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im curious my self in what the differences might be. Im pulling another 1985 2.8v6, 4 or 5 speed 4x4 right now going to compare the 2 blocks to see just what all GM might have changed. Im sure its very little but I am a curious sort of fellow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts