S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question regarding the idling on my truck.
I've got an 84 2.8L carb.
My question is, most of the time when i'm driving, the truck drives fine.
When i come up to a set of lights, i push the clutch in and the brake. At this point, quite often my engine will idle very high, and in order for me to get the idle down, i have to tromp it down quickly and then it goes down to normal.
This happens quite often, sometimes it is fine, but more often than not, i get the very high idel while at lights, or in a stopped position in neutral
FYI, i have changed the fuel filter, the plug wires, the air filter, the PCV valve. So all seems to be in working order.

I'm at a loss here guys, can someone help?

Thx in advance

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
It's most likely the high idle screw. If you look at the passenger side of the carb, there is a screw that acts as a stop for the linkage (move the throttle a little and you'll see it). If it is adjusted out too far, it will get stuck when the carb tries to kick off of choke and account for the high idle. When you are pumping the throttle down, it lets it slip past. I would just back it out some more. The screw sits horizontally, should be able to see it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok,
The truck doesn't seem to idle high any more. i think it fixed itself or something. i dunno. it's weird. Now it won't stay going when i'm idling. it idles right down and stalls. I had to start it 4 times tonight in my driveway.
I'm getting really tired of this piece of crap. i'm having nothing but bloody problems with it. I think i am going to lose it soon on this piece of [email protected]

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Hey ReedZ. Yeah, I'm jumping on the wagon with you. I'm fairly tired of mine and Joed is probably getting there:)

Did you make any adjustments anywhere? What is the highest idle that it obtains once it is warmed up? Better question is if it has problems idling when it's all warmed up? I would just adjust the idle screw so that it idles higher.
Mine lopes like a mofo and sits below a smooth 750 most of the time, occasionally coming back up to normal. It was idling much higher, above 1000, until I retarded the timing a bit more to get it closer to spec and reduced the idle at the adjustment screw. When it sits at 750 its great, when it dips below to around 500 or so, I move my foot over to the gas pedal just in case it wants to stall out in the middle of rush hour.

How long have you owned the truck? I see that you're from Canada and it gets pretty cold up there. These old 2.8s with their lousy carbs are a pain in the ass to start in the cold. Even with a new carb on mine, I have to start it at least twice from a cold start up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts