S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently bought a 1983 4x4 2.8L and knew I didn't have long with the current engine. I was right, it blew about 3 days in driving to work and back. Sounds like an excuse to upgrade 馃槇.

Looking around I saw the 3.4L were direct bolt ons to what I had. So is that true having the 4 speed manual as well?

Also I can't find one anywhere except for remanned online. That being said I know there's variations in the years with MPFI becoming a thing but is it possible to use a later year 3.4L? Like say an engine from a 96-05 and just strip it down and put a TBI or carb setup on it? I want to minimize electronics because the truck is an '83.

Just seeing if there's an easier way to get a hand on one of these rarities. TIA.

Registered
The 3.4 that is used as a 2.8 replacement was only available as 93-95 and had iron heads. The later 3.4's were transverse engines with alum. heads and are not a bolt-in swap. However, the aluminum 3.4 heads will bolt onto the earlier block using the later engine intake. There are members on this forum that have built hybrid engines. If you lived in Florida I have a 93-95 rebuildable engine I have no use for.

Awww..you ain't got shit!
Best bet is to look at local upull lots, or check facebook marketplace or craigslist for an engine or someone parting out a 93-95 Camaro. A reman would not be bad either. Everything will swap over. Look at my signature and you can see my build thread of my 3.4 without me typing a book here.

One thing to mention on your truck being a 4 or 5 speed is that there is no boss on the block for the clutch cable to mount. It's not really an issue because you can put a hydraulic system on your truck. I will go ahead and disclaim that some of this is speculation and I COULD very well have some details wrong. BUT... What I'd do is find one in the boneyard that had a hydraulic system and grab what is required if it is there. Take some wide tape that'll cover areas that exist in your truck for reference. Remove any bolts that exist from surrounding holes, and use that tape to make a template by marking those common holes (i just use dirty hands and force the tape into the holes and trace it with my fingers to mark it) and now you have a reference to drill yours for the master. You can photocopy that too and use that as well if you want to cut the holes out, tape it down and hit it with some paint or trace it on the truck with a grease pencil. You will probably need the pedal assembly from the later truck too, or at the very least the clutch pedal and pushrod (if it isn't attached...I don't know). I "think" you will need a later bellhousing to accommodate the slave cylinder as I recall it kind of sits in from the outside That may be incorrect. Not sure. Of course you could avoid all that and find a way to cut the ball stud off your 2.8 block and weld it onto your new motor, but I ain't even going there.

Registered
I just rebuilt my 2.8. Same year but not a 4x4. Cost like 2k after all the stuff I replaced around the engine pulling it out because I had never done it before. Replaced other things too but yeah. There was almost 1k in the motor with machine work and internal parts. Probably didn鈥檛 get the best deal but hey. Expensive for that motor. If you don鈥檛 care about originality or have to deal with smog, I鈥檇 go with a SBC or 3.4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts