Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 2.8 TBI completely stock.

i have fuel presure but when i start hur up the injectors wont spray:rant: ....lol

Woulod anyone hapen to have a fuel system diagram of the sorts?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can't help you much with an '87. But I would check every fuse to be sure they are good. The later model 1st gen had a fuse that powered the injectors. Also are you getting spark to the plugs? If not, maybe the ECM doesn't know the engine is cranking to give it fuel and spark.

James

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
Bad ignition module under your distributor. When it goes bad, the injectors don't get reference pulses to open and close. Hence, no fuel delivery.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Bad ignition module under your distributor. When it goes bad, the injectors don't get reference pulses to open and close. Hence, no fuel delivery.
What he said! Also if you have a powered l.e.d. test light you can check for signal. One wire should be power for the injector and the other will be ground. The ground will get its signal as you crank the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could be the fuse to the ecm. Mine blew when I pinched a injector wire between the air cleaner base and the throttle body. Same symptom. No voltage all the way back to the ecm. Check the voltage at the fuel pump relay too.

·
maybe ill add one later
1,439 Posts
was this issue ever resolved? im having same problem..no power at all at the fuel pump..ECMB fuse is fine but i cant find the fuel pump relay b/c the previous owner made a "birds nest" out of all the wires under the hood and i have no clue what is what..if at all possible, i was thinkin of just running an all new wire with fuse and relay back to the fuel pump.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Can you crank it and when it builds oil pressure will it start?
Can you have a helper cycle the key while you listen for a clicking to find the relay? (if it clicks)

·
maybe ill add one later
1,439 Posts
wont start period..but i was told i could just find a fuse in the box that is off when truck is and then on when truck is on and run a new wire to the fuel pump

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
I'm having problems now with my 1992 2.8. I crank it and crank it and it seems like it's getting no fuel. I listened in the rear and with just the key turned it sounds like the fuel pump is running non stop. What are all of the hoses for on the top of the pump because one of them had a ruptured hose that shot fuel out if I bent it a certain way, but now it seems like it all dried up? Anyone got any help on the subject? If so thanks in advance.

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
A guy at Autozone said that my fuel pump must've busted after I turned it off. He said the little impeller might've cracked after use and now it won't pump gas, therefore never reaching the right psi and continuing pumping. Does that sound right, I need a new fuel pump?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
The hoses on top the pump are fuel, return and vent. Your pump could be working but not have enough psi to operate the injection properly. Have you done a fuel filter. May be clogged. Can you test the pressure? TBI should be around 14

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok well i dug into my fuel system and i stil cant rly figure out what kind of system it is...it seems to me that the fuel pressure regulator is in fuel pump (am i right?) and the relays only so that your pump doesn't keep running while the cars off.

it doesn't look like i have fuel pressure problems but more like the jets just dont seem to be getting a signal to open. For some reason i think it has something to do with the distributor. Specificaly the distributore module. as soon as i get my multi-metter i'll be able to test it.

Tell me if i'm heading in the right direction guys!

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
The hoses on top the pump are fuel, return and vent. Your pump could be working but not have enough psi to operate the injection properly. Have you done a fuel filter. May be clogged. Can you test the pressure? TBI should be around 14
I'll sound like a noob on the subject and ask how the hell do I test the pressure? Plus, would that be the problem, because it never stops running even for 5 minutes?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
LOW N SLOW
I don't know what you have in the great white north but places like autozone can test the modules

EXTCAB
Sounds like your pump may be hot wired. It runs for more that a few seconds after the key is turned on without the engine running? The TBI you need to remove the return line and hook an inline gauge up there with an adapter so you can hook the line back up.

·
Yes, those are my feet
630 Posts
What he said! Also if you have a powered l.e.d. test light you can check for signal. One wire should be power for the injector and the other will be ground. The ground will get its signal as you crank the engine.

okay... I used my test light hooked to the neg side of the injectors... I got no pulse when I cranked it... It'd be a good idea to replace the module, huh... DAMN!

·
Registered Fabricator
777 Posts
my 87 did the same thing intermittently, it was the ignition module also - in the distributor

·
Yes, those are my feet
630 Posts
replaced the module... swiped a noid light from work, and still nothing at the injectors... i'm getting fuel TO the injectors but they're not firing...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.