S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1988 2.8 tbi v6 4x4, I’ve heard the 2.8 has very low power so I was looking into swapping a larger motor in, I enjoy the 4.3 and was thinking of maybe a v8 swap depending on the difference, I know the transmission is different but I have one I could probably take the bell housing off of, if that’s interchangeable, what other parts would be needed for a swap? Other than a motor, I’ve also seen people talk about a 3.4 swap but I’ve never had much experience with that motor and I just wanna know what exactly I need to expect

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,682 Posts
The 2.8 is adequate if allowed to breathe which in stock form they don't. I had an old 2.8 that I put a 4bbl 390cfm Holley on. Completely different truck afterwards. In your case, you may want to try the 4.3 TBI swap first and see what happens.

Another very good option is the 3.4 swap. In your case, all it requires is the 4.3 TBI unit, and of course an 3.4 engine from a Camaro or Firebird. Jegs sells long blocks too. The coolest thing about that swap is you simply re-use what you have. It's the same as a 2.8 dimensionally. Bolts right in. When done correctly, it can make anywhere from 165 to 200+ HP. No kidding. 4.3 territory and no modifications. It's truly a beautiful swap because you don't have to do much.

Putting a 4.3 in your truck could be easy, or it could be dicey. The way I understand is that 88 is the transition year in that the 4.3 was offered and considered 88 1/2. If your truck is early 88, it could have the old firewall design. If it does, you'll have to do all the firewall mods that were necessary to easily fit the 4.3. If you go to all that trouble, you might as well do a SBC.

To me, the 3.4 swap is the coolest because anyone can have a SBC swapped S-10. Most of the conversions I have personally seen are hacked up, cut up, unreliable, overheating pieces of ** that are a bear to work on. It sounds smart upfront, and people say that they could get a motor and transmission for X dollars, but a proper swap is gonna cost thousands. There's so much more expense in addition to the motor to have it not be a hacked up, cut up, unreliable, overheating piece of **. So in that light, the 3.4 makes the most sense.

·
time to get cereal
6,049 Posts
You could get rid of the crap TBI system too and go to sequential multiport fuel injection, stock on the Camaros. Something the 4.3l never really had, just that even crappier spider setup.

There's a lot of options for the 60 degree V6. The RWD intake and heads are pretty crap for flow, hence the hybrid setups that use FWD parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts